Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Whitehurst <dl...@comcast.net> on 2005/04/26 00:23:42 UTC

Why 8080 and 8443 ..?

I'm curious about the historical reasons behind the choice of 8080 and
8443 as the "default" ports for Coyote connectors?  Can someone answer
this question? Knowing that the general ports are 80 and 443, would the
need for translation of the ports, running Tomcat as a non-root user, be
a "reason" for this?

Thanks,

David Whitehurst
dlwhitehurst@comcast.net

Re: Why 8080 and 8443 ..?

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Taking a wild stab at it, in the early days Tomcat was not as good of a http
server as it is now and was thus put behind a "real" web server to do it's
thing when needed and not mess with static stuff. Thus to avoid conflicts on
install the ports were set to a different value from default. Then there is
the issue that Tomcat cannot start on Linux on the default ports unless
running as root.

So there are two of the possible reasons that an upper port was chosen.
Since I am relatively new to Tomcat it is totally possible that I am way off
base.