Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by felix gao <gr...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/19 00:23:16 UTC

namenode grows overtime

Hi guys,

we are running Hadoop 0.20.2+228, the namenode process's memory grows
overtime to occupy over 18GB.  However, if I restart the namenode, it only
occupies about 10GB after it is stable.  I am wondering if there is anyway
to figure out what is going on with namenode that causes it to grow very
rapidly and if there are any tools to make the namenode printout some
useful information on what is holding onto that memory.

Thanks,

Felix

Re: namenode grows overtime

Posted by felix gao <gr...@gmail.com>.
I noticed this from doing a top of the process and it is reporting the RES
is about 80% of the allocated.

Re: namenode grows overtime

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Felix,

RE: namenode grows overtime

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G <ma...@huawei.com>.
Can you please check in UI, what is the heap usage. Then we can confirm whether java heap is growing or not.

top will consider native memory usage also and nio uses directByteBuffers internally.

This is good write up from Jonathan https://groups.google.com/group/asynchbase/browse_thread/thread/c45bc7ba788b2357

Regards,

Uma

Posted by felix gao <gr...@gmail.com>.