Posted to user@struts.apache.org by joey sark <jo...@usa.net> on 2001/06/15 23:46:04 UTC

moving/tailoring struts-example app

Newbie question:

I'm using tomcat 3.2.1

my default app is webapps/Root

i have webapps/struts-example working.

my understanding is that these are two separate apps each with its own web.xml
etc, and that they cannot access each other's session data. I want to move
struts-example to under /Root/ on the assumption that this is true.

I'm not clear on the organization of 'sub apps'for lack of a better term and
most examples i've seen show only monolithic apps, so restructuring this
involves some guesswork.

I believe i have to proceed as follows, but please stop and correct me if this
is wrong:

1. copy the webapps/struts-example tree to webapps/Root/my-struts

2. now Root/my-struts/WEB-INF/web.xml is not used, so paste the pertainent
parts into Root/WEB-INF/web.xml

3. not sure if struts-config.xml and all the other .xml's and .tld's need to
be moved to Root/WEB-INF/ or stay put.

4. since webapps/struts-example still exists, seems like there would be a
servlet name clash with the new subapp, and also a servlet mapping clash. what
do i do about this?

it would not seem right to rename the new "action" servlet but it does seem
necessary to map it to something like /myaction/*.do -

5. seems like it's ok to leave the new /my-struts/WEB-INF/lib and /classes
just as they are.

can someone please advise me if this is the way to do it? there are a dozen
new unknowns introduced here that could break the whole thing and be really
difficult to trace.

thanks a zillion!

end