Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kavika Vollmar <ka...@xilinx.com> on 2006/07/26 16:55:29 UTC

Post commit script running 'svn log'

Hi there!
I am very confused: I am trying to run
'svn log --verbose -r x:y' from a post-commit script in order to send
emails out after each commit.
Since these post-commit scripts are execute from apache with no valid
user name specified, I can not get
Authenticated. (We use the LDAP authentication.)
The only way I could get this to work is to explicitly specifiy
'--username ****** --password ****' for the
'svn log' command my post-commit script, which is highly insecure.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Kavika

Re: Post commit script running 'svn log'

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 26, 2006, at 18:55, Kavika Vollmar wrote:

> I am very confused: I am trying to run
> 'svn log --verbose -r x:y' from a post-commit script in order to send
> emails out after each commit.
> Since these post-commit scripts are execute from apache with no valid
> user name specified, I can not get
> Authenticated. (We use the LDAP authentication.)
> The only way I could get this to work is to explicitly specifiy
> '--username ****** --password ****' for the
> 'svn log' command my post-commit script, which is highly insecure.

Use the svnlook command instead of the svn command. svnlook operates
on filesystem paths, not URLs, and so there will be no authentication
requirement; if filesystem permissions let the apache user read the
repository, then the hook will be able to read it too.

Re: Post commit script running 'svn log'

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Kavika Vollmar wrote:
> Hi there!
> I am very confused: I am trying to run
> 'svn log --verbose -r x:y' from a post-commit script in order to send
> emails out after each commit.
> Since these post-commit scripts are execute from apache with no valid
> user name specified, I can not get
> Authenticated. (We use the LDAP authentication.)
> The only way I could get this to work is to explicitly specifiy
> '--username ****** --password ****' for the
> 'svn log' command my post-commit script, which is highly insecure.
>
> What am I missing?

Why don't you use the mailer.py that comes with Subversion.  It will do most
everything you need in a post commit mailer?  You point it directly at the
repository's location on your filesystem and it doesn't need any authorization.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.