Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2018/04/06 20:12:26 UTC

Re: HTTPS for license URL in recommended header

Slow follow up from me on this, but any reason not to edit the site to
change the URL to https? If there are no objections, I'll just go ahead and
do this.

If PMCs are going to be emailed, obviously it's more far-reaching than just
the license. Many projects still use unsecured HTTP when promoting their
homepages and also for links on within project webpages when an HTTPS
alternative available. I think the expectation should be set that HTTPS is
the default unless there are very good reasons to do otherwise.

--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/04/18 21:12, Michael Mior wrote:
> Slow follow up from me on this, but any reason not to edit the site to
> change the URL to https? If there are no objections, I'll just go ahead
> and do this.

I object.

Changing the standard license text in any way at all is a big deal. It
creates a huge amount of work for projects for no obvious benefit.

Any change needs the explicit approval of V.P. Legal.

I'd suggest providing projects with a choice to use http or https as
they wish with a recommendation, but not a requirement, to use https.
But that is just my recommendation. The final decision lies with V.P. Legal.

Mark

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Regardless of my earlier posting in this thread, I am wholeheartedly +1 on
this.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

Apache Trafodion <https://trafodion.apache.org>, Vice President