Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <19...@gmx.net> on 2015/02/02 10:23:00 UTC

Open JIRA issues/retiring plugins

Hi folks,

I have performed another cleanup on JIRA in the last couple of days, most of on old issues.
Right now, we have more than 2000 open issues. Not manageble from my point of view.

I have noticed that several plugins haven't been touched in years. What is the status of
the following plugins:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-docck-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-doap-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-repository-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-verifier-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-patch-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-pdf-plugin/
http://maven.apache.org/archetype/maven-archetype-plugin/

Is anyone working on them or planning to release a version? Any thoughts or objections?

I'd like to retire them and clean up JIRA plugin by plugin.

Michael

Re: Open JIRA issues/retiring plugins

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Den 4 feb 2015 04:00 skrev "Hervé BOUTEMY" <he...@free.fr>:

> Le lundi 2 février 2015 10:23:00 Michael Osipov a écrit :
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have performed another cleanup on JIRA in the last couple of days,
most of
> > on old issues. Right now, we have more than 2000 open issues. Not
manageble
> > from my point of view.
> >
> > I have noticed that several plugins haven't been touched in years. What
is
> > the status of the following plugins:
> >
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-docck-plugin/
> the fact that our plugins documentation standard doesn't change often
doesn't
> mean that this plugin is not completely useful and maintained
> -1 for retirement
>
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-doap-plugin/
> Semantic web is not dead: I know it's not well known and used, but it
> could/should change.
> I'd prefer to keep this plugin
>
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-repository-plugin/
> good question: who uses it?
>
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/
> ok, Olivier replied on this one
>
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
> Andreas and Dan's plan is great
>
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-verifier-plugin/
> good question: does anybody use this plugin nowadays?
>
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-patch-plugin/
> This one seems unused and not really usable: I imagine nobody uses it

For a long time I wondered what this plugin did. Then last year I found a
use case for it at  my day  job. So I volunteer to maintain it.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le lundi 2 février 2015 19:49:02 Andreas Gudian a écrit :
> I'm pretty sure I might be bashed for writing this, but what the heck... ;-)
>
> I do still see some need for the maven-eclipse-plugin.
>
> To be perfectly clear, I agree that m2e is by far superior in many ways,
> not only tech-wise, but also conceptionally.
>
> Still, at work we had to migrate from m2e to m-eclipse-p a couple of years
> ago, which included some minor adaptations to the plugin, and it works like
> a charm since then (that was back in the days when m2e was far away from
> version 1.0.0). We have a workspace with about 500 projects and we commit
> the eclipse metadata for each project to our source repository. Changes in
> the poms don't happen that often, and if needed that one colleague runs
> m-eclipse-p to update the metadata and commits everything in one go. The
> other colleagues do their update, refresh in eclipse, maybe run a batch
> file to download newly referenced jars to the local repo, and they're done.
> Eclipse will build quite quickly.
>
> I just tried the latest m2e version with our projects and, although it's by
> far better than it was some years ago, I had to tripple my memory settings
> and wait 20 minutes for the "update project..." and the following build.
> That's something I can't sell to my colleagues (many of them don't even
> have enough RAM for that, sadly enough).
>
> So I'm herby volunteering to go ahead and pull out some of the adjustments
> that I did for my customer and I'd be happy to do a release. If there's a
> chance to get some PMC votes on such a thing ;-).
+1
I promise I'll vote :)

> I'd also include a disclaimer on the site that builds with m2e are in many
> cases closer to the real maven build, that m2e is much more maintained,
> that it is discouraged to use m-eclipse-p, and that the maven team strongly
> suggests using m2e. Something like that.
+1
that's a good balance IMHO

> WDYT?
great plan

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

the plan was to release from almost all the plugins to make a last
releases which has Maven 2.2.1 minimum and JDK 5 min.

Furthermore I'm working on several of those plugins:

maven-docck-plugin,
maven-doap-plugin
maven-repository-plugin
maven-stage-plugin
maven-pdf-plugin
maven-archetype-plugin

The maven-eclipse-plugin is one of them i would go with you to retire it
cause m2e is in the meantime the correct way to go...

But i would recommend that we make an annoucement on the User list and
on google plus, twitter etc. and see how the reactions are....

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Monday, February 2, 2015, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> -1 for both archetype and stage plugin.
> Maybe I will have a look to fix issues if enough spare time..
> I don't understand such rush... AFAIK we are not a company with some budget
> and who need to justify a ratio between number of bugs and time spent on
> projects.

It seems to be a simple fact that in order to get people to stay engaged we
need to propose "extreme" actions.

I think from a community perspective it would be better if we could find
more inclusive ways of getting people to re-engage with the project.

In short, Michael is right to remind us to review the code we are carrying
for dead-wood... But he could have made his case in a more inclusive
fashion.

We need to be building and growing our community. In some cases that may
mean dropping sub-projects, in other cases that may mean picking them up.

What is important is that we do that in such a way that potential new
Committers view our community as a friendly and welcoming place in which to
spend their efforts

- Stephen (as a PMC member)

> On 2 February 2015 at 20:23, Michael Osipov <1983-01-06@gmx.net
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have performed another cleanup on JIRA in the last couple of days, most
> > of on old issues.
> > Right now, we have more than 2000 open issues. Not manageble from my
> point
> > of view.
> >
> > I have noticed that several plugins haven't been touched in years. What
> is
> > the status of
> > the following plugins:
> >
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-docck-plugin/
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-doap-plugin/
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-repository-plugin/
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-verifier-plugin/
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-patch-plugin/
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-pdf-plugin/
> > http://maven.apache.org/archetype/maven-archetype-plugin/
> >
> > Is anyone working on them or planning to release a version? Any thoughts
> > or objections?
> >
> > I'd like to retire them and clean up JIRA plugin by plugin.
> >
> > Michael

> <javascript:;>
> >

> --
> Olivier Lamy

Sent from my phone

Re: Open JIRA issues/retiring plugins

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

On 2 February 2015 at 20:23, Michael Osipov <19...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have performed another cleanup on JIRA in the last couple of days, most
> of on old issues.
> Right now, we have more than 2000 open issues. Not manageble from my point
> of view.
>
> I have noticed that several plugins haven't been touched in years. What is
> the status of
> the following plugins:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-docck-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-doap-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-repository-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-verifier-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-patch-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-pdf-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/archetype/maven-archetype-plugin/
>
> Is anyone working on them or planning to release a version? Any thoughts
> or objections?
>
> I'd like to retire them and clean up JIRA plugin by plugin.
>
> Michael

Olivier Lamy

Re: Open JIRA issues/retiring plugins

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
People are making new archetypes every day.

I did a round of bugfixing a couple of years ago, I could do one again.

Re: Open JIRA issues/retiring plugins

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
Agree with Anders:

* +1 to deprecate maven-eclipse-plugin (coming from an happy M2E user from
years), the community must acknowledge that this plugin is not the way to
go and there's a modern an well-maintained alternative.
* -1 to deprecate maven-archetype-plugin IMO it's still one of those
plugins that you'll find in almost every docs, internal or external, to
bootstrap project developments. I don't see an alternative as-of today.

* -0 maven-docck-plugin: it's still referenced here at MOJO
http://mojo.codehaus.org/development/performing-a-release.html#Preparing_for_the_First_Production_Release
but I don't know its feature enough to have a strong opinion on this one.
Just thought I would point this reference out.

No opinion for this others.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
notice that I completely understand Andreas explanations about memory
requirements of m2e vs m-eclipse-p

but
> >  The developer experience within eclipse is so much better after using the
> > maven-eclipse-plugin.
this one is more obscure to me

this doesn't change the fact that I like Andreas plan to make some
enhancements and add a warning that for most cases, m2e is the way to go

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I’m -1 to retiring the maven-eclipse-plugin until the m2e stuff is at a state where it can be as flexible and useful as the maven-eclipse-plugin.   Trying to bring a large complex project like CXF into eclipse with m2e is PAINFUL and doesn’t even result in fully configured and ready workspace.   The developer experience within eclipse is so much better after using the maven-eclipse-plugin.

I suppose that does mean I should step up and look at some of the JIRA’s and get a release out.  I’ll see if I can find some time.

Dan

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 4:23 AM, Michael Osipov <19...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I have performed another cleanup on JIRA in the last couple of days, most of on old issues.
> Right now, we have more than 2000 open issues. Not manageble from my point of view.
>
> I have noticed that several plugins haven't been touched in years. What is the status of
> the following plugins:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-docck-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-doap-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-repository-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-verifier-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-patch-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-pdf-plugin/
> http://maven.apache.org/archetype/maven-archetype-plugin/
>
> Is anyone working on them or planning to release a version? Any thoughts or objections?
>
> I'd like to retire them and clean up JIRA plugin by plugin.
>
> Michael

Daniel Kulp