Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Matt Munz <mm...@apelon.com> on 2002/11/04 18:29:59 UTC

what should I expect, performance-wise?

Hi all,

  I'm trying to determine what I can and cannot use axis for.  I've created
a simple test object that has a method that returns a String (20 chars), and
another method that returns an int.  I'm currently averaging .37 seconds to
retrieve the String and .14 seconds to retrieve the int, via Axis.  Are
these results typical?  Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

  I'm trying to build a system that uses SOAP for client-server
communication, where a server request (perhaps involving multiple SOAP
calls) should take no more than 1 second.  If the results I listed above are
typical, then it suggests to me that no more than two SOAP calls can be made
within the desired timeframe.  This would suggest a model of using a few
long transactions where the server does most of the work, and is customized
to fit the client.

  Ideally, I'd like to have a system that uses many short transactions.
Such systems are more flexible and require fewer tricks like fetching data
before it is required and cacheing.  Of course, this requires fast
marshalling/unmarshalling.  Is there anything I can do to speed up these
times?  Has anyone had success making a system based on frequent, short
transactions, using Axis?

  - Matt