Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Aaron Enatsky <ae...@vt.edu> on 2021/08/21 17:52:42 UTC

license compatibility question

Hi,

I reviewed the FAQ and didn't see an answer to this license compatibility
issue. If I were to use a GPL 2.0 licensedsoftware library with an Apache
licensed software library (compiled together), but the use will remain
*internal
only* (no distribution to 3rd parties), does the license
compatibility issue matter?

Regards

-A

Re: license compatibility question

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice.

Your intended use of Apache software is covered by
https://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#IsItFree

Most of the license issues are around distribution, not internal use.

Your own legal folks can probably help with other issues.

Warm regards,
Craig

> On Aug 21, 2021, at 10:52 AM, Aaron Enatsky <ae...@vt.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I reviewed the FAQ and didn't see an answer to this license compatibility issue. If I were to use a GPL 2.0 licensedsoftware library with an Apache licensed software library (compiled together), but the use will remain internal only (no distribution to 3rd parties), does the license compatibility issue matter?
>
> Regards
>
> -A

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org