Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org> on 2018/09/27 23:20:16 UTC

GfshParserRule failures are very cryptic

Does anyone know GfshParserRule well enough that we could make the test
failures provide some useful info?

If you could give me some pointers on where/what to improve I'm happy to do
the footwork. Or if you prefer to do that's fine as well.

For example, I have a PR with GfshParserAutoCompletionTest but the failure
is completely unhelpful as far as telling me why or how it failed.

> Task :geode-core:integrationTest

org.apache.geode.management.internal.cli.GfshParserAutoCompletionTest >
testCompletLogLevel FAILED
    org.junit.ComparisonFailure: expected:<[8]> but was:<[10]>
Method)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at
        at
org.apache.geode.management.internal.cli.GfshParserAutoCompletionTest.testCompletLogLevel(GfshParserAutoCompletionTest.java:257)

org.apache.geode.management.internal.cli.GfshParserAutoCompletionTest >
testCompletLogLevelWithEqualSign FAILED
    org.junit.ComparisonFailure: expected:<[8]> but was:<[10]>
Method)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at
        at
org.apache.geode.management.internal.cli.GfshParserAutoCompletionTest.testCompletLogLevelWithEqualSign(GfshParserAutoCompletionTest.java:265)

Re: GfshParserRule failures are very cryptic

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.
I found the answer...

Change lines in the test from this:

    assertThat(candidate.size()).isEqualTo(8);

To this:

    assertThat(candidate.getCandidates()).hasSize(8);

And now I get this failure which is much more helpful:

Sep 27, 2018 4:36:50 PM org.springframework.shell.core.SimpleParser
displayHelp
INFO:
required --loglevel: Log level to change to

java.lang.AssertionError:
Expected size:<8> but was:<10> in:
<[0. null - =ALL,
    0. null - =DEBUG,
    0. null - =DETAIL,
    0. null - =ERROR,
    0. null - =FATAL,
    0. null - =INFO,
    0. null - =NOTE,
    0. null - =OFF,
    0. null - =TRACE,
    0. null - =WARN]>

at
org.apache.geode.management.internal.cli.GfshParserAutoCompletionTest.testCompleteLogLevel(GfshParserAutoCompletionTest.java:258)