Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Mahadev Konar <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/03/11 01:24:18 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Ambari (incubating) 1.2.1 Release Candidate RC0.

Hi everyone,

 This is a call for a vote to release Apache Ambari 1.2.1 incubating. A vote
was held on developer mailing list and it passed with 6+1's with 5 of them
binding.

 mahadev (IPMC, PPMC)
 ddas (IPMC, PPMC)
 acmurthy (IPMC)
 jitendra (PPMC)
 yusaku (PPMC)

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ambari-dev/201303.mbox/%3CCALF7aMQpzbUDT3_A=4RUMvQk+y6pq5SgnsL4jR-zYPUO1R0Mxw@mail.gmail.com%3E

The staging Staging site is:
http://people.apache.org/~mahadev/ambari-1.2.1-incubating-rc0/

with user docs at:
http://incubator.apache.org/ambari/1.2.1/installing-hadoop-using-ambari/content/index.html
and dev docs at:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Ambari+Development

 SVN source tag:
 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ambari/tags/release-1.2.1-rc0

 PGP release keys (signed using 8EE2F25C)
 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x0DFF492D8EE2F25C

One can look into the issues fixed in this release at

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AMBARI%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%221.2.1%22%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Resolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Vote will be open for 72 hours.
 [ ] +1 approve
 [ ] +0 no opinion
 [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

thanks
mahadev

[CANCEL][VOTE] Apache Ambari (incubating) 1.2.1 Release Candidate RC0.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@hortonworks.com>.
Closing out this vote for the votes monitor to catch. 1.2.1 RC1 was voted on and released quite some time back.

-- Hitesh

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ambari (incubating) 1.2.1 Release Candidate RC0.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>  At least
>> in Hadoop ecosystem I know of no other project that provides a combined
>> bundle for the checksums.
>

> Have you looked at the Hadoop releases?
>
> http://www.us.apache.org/dist/hadoop/common/hadoop-1.1.2/

That's why I was very careful in phrasing my statement: "hadoop *ecosystem*" (*)
since I didn't want to get into the argument around the fact that it
may be beneficial
for Apache Hadoop project itself to reconsider its release practices
around producing
message digest information.

But regardless, there's no reason for a podling not to follow established
practices that a majority of ASF release do follow.

Thanks,
Roman.

(*) it is like saying Earth's ecosystem -- the planet itself doesn't count :-)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ambari (incubating) 1.2.1 Release Candidate RC0.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

>  At least
> in Hadoop ecosystem I know of no other project that provides a combined
> bundle for the checksums.

Have you looked at the Hadoop releases?

http://www.us.apache.org/dist/hadoop/common/hadoop-1.1.2/

-- Owen

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ambari (incubating) 1.2.1 Release Candidate RC0.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The ambari-1.2.1-incubating.tar.gz.mds file is wrong; there should be
>> separate files for each hash type.
>> Normally only MD5 and SHA are provided.
>>

> In what way are they "wrong?" It is a perfectly well defined output format
> that is the preferred one for Ambari. Depending on MD5 or even SHA1 for
> tamper detection is in fact wrong.

Is there any particular reason to introduce this type of inconsistency? At least
in Hadoop ecosystem I know of no other project that provides a combined
bundle for the checksums. This makes the job of the tools that automatically
download apache tarballs and ingest them into a build pipeline more complicated
without much obvious benefit.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Ambari (incubating) 1.2.1 Release Candidate RC0.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11 March 2013 20:17, Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The ambari-1.2.1-incubating.tar.gz.mds file is wrong; there should be
>> separate files for each hash type.
>> Normally only MD5 and SHA are provided.
>>

> In what way are they "wrong?" It is a perfectly well defined output format
> that is the preferred one for Ambari. Depending on MD5 or even SHA1 for
> tamper detection is in fact wrong.

[So why are those two in the mds file?!]

But that's not the primary intention of the hashes anyway; hashes are
intended for checking that a download has succeeded.
Proper tamper detection requires signatures.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks for taking a look Seb.

Let me mix the issues you mentioned and Ill upload a new tarball.

thanks
mahadev

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.