Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> on 2008/03/27 08:26:46 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Hi,

it is now more then 6 month since we released Apache Directory Studio
1.0.1. I think it is high time to push a new 1.1.0 release.

We had two RC releases and got some feedback and bug reports from users.
So I think it is stable enough for the GA release.

We fixed 63 bugs and implemented 36 new features or improvements. Here
you could find the release notes:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310590&styleName=Html&version=12312701

Let's vote on the release:
[ ] +1 Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0
[ ] +/-0 Abstain
[ ] -1 Do NOT release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Kind Regards,
Stefan Seelmann

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi David,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 6:27 PM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> -1
> I'm all for releasing ADS 1.1.0 real soon now and have no problems with
> the code but...
> This doesn't say what we're voting on.  While I prefer voting on actual
> artifacts that I can check I'm ok with voting on a specific svn revision of
> a particular code base as long as its clearly specified together with the
> expected build method.  This vote looks to me like a referendum on "should
> we tag something and vote on the tag" rather than a vote on something
> specific.
>
> So, I'll guess randomly :-) that this is intended to be a vote
> on directory/studio/trunk rev 641069.

Stefan did not said it in his mail but we're not voting on the trunk but on
the 1.1.0 branch (
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.0/).

> First, and this is a blocker, there are no hardcoded LICENSE and NOTICE
> files in svn at the checkout root.  I'm happy to help with constructing
> appropriate files but since I don't know anything about studio I can't
> really do it myself.  If all the files in svn under the checkout root is asf
> licensed with no other restrictions (such as from being copied from
> somewhere else) then the AL goes in the LICENSE and the NOTICE file is the
> minimal:
>
> ----------
> Apache Directory Studio Copyright xxx-2008 The Apache Software Foundation
> This product includes software developed byThe Apache Software Foundation
> (http://www.apache.org/).----------
> If there is code from other sources please let me know what it is and I'll
> try to help figure out what we need to do.  I don't know the Studio
> inception year... this needs to replace the xxx.  Neither this LICENSE nor
> NOTICE file needs to reflect any dependencies of the project, just the stuff
> that is actually in svn.

I did not know having a LICENSE and NOTICE file was needed at the root of
the repository, I thought LICENSE and NOTICE were only needed in the
META-INF of the jars.
I followed the guideline explained here:
http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
As it is said, all our distributions include LICENSE and NOTICE files in the
top directory.

> Since this doesn't specify an expected build method I have to assume it
> uses the only one I know about... maven.  In this case this is not suitable
> for release since it has a snapshot parent pom:
>
>   <parent>
>     <groupId>org.apache.directory.project</groupId>
>     <artifactId>project</artifactId>
>     <version>10-SNAPSHOT</version>
>   </parent>
>
> I'm also slightly worried about the SNAPSHOT versions in the properties
> in http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/studio/trunk/pom.xml?view=markup.
>  They might get changed to something that aren't snapshots during the actual
> release process but I have no way to know that.
>
> It's also extremely desirable to lock down all the maven plugins with
> explicit versions.

In the 1.1.0 branch we want to release there are no SNAPSHOTs. The trunk is
currently the home for our next version (1.2, 1.3, etc.)

> Another thing I'm concerned about from a few days ago is that the maven
> build produces some kind of update site thingy that doesn't include legal
> files.  I disabled the check for legal files for it.  If this is something
> that might get into a maven repo this needs to be fixed.

This update site is not going to go into any maven repo. It's going to be
hosted on our website.
The update site has be used within Eclipse to install Apache Directory
Studio features.
NOTICE and LICENSE files are included in each feature package and the user
is asked to accept the Apache Software License when installing Studio.

Hope this helps,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Emmanuel,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I suggest that we freeze the code, create a branch (1.1.0-GA) and vote
> this branch.
>
> Is that OK ?

Completely OK.
Actually the vote was about an already existing branch (
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.0/) which was
the home of our 1.1.0 developments.

Hope this helps,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Take 2, after a good sleep :)

David, you are plain right. I rehashed the full mail again this
morning under my shower, and what you said about revision is just
correct.

Forgive my previous answer.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  this may need some twiking...
>

>  >
>  > It's also extremely desirable to lock down all the maven plugins with
>  > explicit versions.
>
>  I haven't looked at the pom.xml files, but if there is no dependency
>  manager, we must add one.
>

>  >
>  > Another thing I'm concerned about from a few days ago is that the maven
>  > build produces some kind of update site thingy that doesn't include legal
>  > files.  I disabled the check for legal files for it.  If this is something
>  > that might get into a maven repo this needs to be fixed.
>
>  We have to check the lack of legal files.
>
>  >
>  > sorry...
>
>  Don't. Those are important matters, and we have to clean the place
>  now, otherwise, we will carry those guys for another 6 months period

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] [Results] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi,

I just deployed the different packages for the standalone application and
the jars for the updatesite (plugins and features).

Now, we have to wait for the replication.
I'll update the download links on the website and the site.xml file for the
update site as soon as the replication is done.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Stefan,

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi

Here are the results for the vote.

Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0:

     * 6 +1 votes
           o Emmanuel Lécharny
           o Alex Karasulu
           o Ersin Er
           o Stefan Zoerner
           o Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot
           o Felix Knecht (non-binding)
     * No +/-0 vote
     * One -1 vote
           o David Jencks (non-binding)

Lets go to release the packages and update the website, online
documentation and update site.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot schrieb:
> Guys,
>
> This vote has been open for a little while now.
>
> What should we do about it?

- Count the votes from PMC members and make a decision the release or not ? ;-)
- Open the next vote with
  "This majority vote stays open for 72 hours."
then your sure when the vote is over.

Maybe it's an idea ;-)
Felix

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Guys,

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 31, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM, David Jencks
> <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> First, and this is a blocker, there are no hardcoded LICENSE and
> NOTICE files in svn at the checkout root.
>
> I looked at the Dev site at Apache (http://apache.org/dev/) and
> could not find the place where it is explicitely said that LICENSE
> and NOTICE files are required in SVN at the checkout root. Even
> though, I'm not against adding them in here. ;)
> I'm just curious of any legal document I'm not aware of. Could you
> point me to that page please ?

As (in my experience) most process bits of ASF stuff any docs you may
find are generally wrong and if you ask any collection of old-timers
you get a different answer from each.  However there's been a lot of
discussion on legal-discuss recently and after a lot of prodding
there seems to be consensus that:

- all distribution units need LICENSE and NOTICE files
- expected svn checkout units form a "distribution" so need to
include LICENSE and NOTICE files
- all other LICENSE and NOTICE files can be generated or from svn
- each LICENSE and NOTICE file refers only to the contents of the
distribution unit, not anything such as required dependencies that
might be needed to use it.

> Where should we have these files?
> At /directory/studio? Or both at /directory/studio/trunk and /
> directory/studio/branches/1.1.0?

.../trunk and ..../branches/1.1.0 since those are what we expect
people to check out if they want to build it themselves.

> Thanks.
>
> As I explained in my previous mails, this vote was about the 1.1.0
> branch (/directory/studio/branches/1.1
> .0) and we should have been more explicit. Is your vote still -1
> for this branch ?

I haven't had time to look at this branch.  Is it built with maven?
I'm not sure if I'll have time to look soon.  If you guys are
confident that all the artifacts have appropriate legal files and
there are no snapshots in any maven build (if used) I'm happy to
change to +0.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

sorry, I was busy last weekend. Seems I ignored some rules how to
release, sorry for that.

We still have all the eclipse dependencies in svn under
/directory/studio/branches/1.1.0/repository because these artifacts are
now available in public maven repositories.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Seelmann

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
-1

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
[X] +1 Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.

> Let's vote on the release:
> [ ] +1 Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0
> [ ] +/-0 Abstain
> [ ] -1 Do NOT release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

+1 non binding

Regards
Felix

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

--
Ersin Er

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.
Stefan Seelmann wrote:

> Let's vote on the release:
> [ ] +1 Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0
> [ ] +/-0 Abstain
> [ ] -1 Do NOT release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

+1

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan

---8<---

Stefan Zoerner (szoerner@apache.org)
Committer :: PMC Member

Apache Directory Project
http://directory.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi,

Just in case you want to test it out, I've created the release packages and
I'm currently uploading them on p.a.o.

You can find them here:
http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/Apache%20Directory%20Studio%201.1.0%20Packages/

Regards,