Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Paloma Gomez <pa...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/19 23:47:30 UTC

[FYI] 1st Open-Source Coding Competition - Spain

Hi all,

The University of Seville  is presenting the first open-source coding
competition, a contest for university students from all parts of Spain
to work on open-source software projects and introduce them to the
world of open-source software development.

The projects can fall into several categories and one of them is
content management. In this category students are asked to develop a
CMS or improve an existing one.

Decisions about admitted proposals will be communicated on October
10th and the final phase will take place  in Seville in mid-2007.
There will also be conferences and workshops during this phase.

The organisers are looking for companies and open-source communities
to collaborate with the event. Their website is not very informative
in  what is expected from communities, but rather encourages to
contact them to obtain more details.

http://concurso-softwarelibre.us.es/index.html
(I'm sorry but there is only a Spanish version)

If you find it interesting, I could contact them and obtain more information.

Thanks,

Paloma

--
Paloma Gomez

Re: [FYI] 1st Open-Source Coding Competition - Spain

Posted by Paloma Gomez <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michi,

I have got more information on the contest.

Right now  their idea is that students make their own proposals. They
are looking for open-source developers to mentor students and take
part in the evaluation of projects not necessarily related to the
communities they are involved in.

However,  they are  also considering to create the figure of developer
partner so that they include references to open-source software
projects collaborating with the contest. They are thinking as well of
creating a list of possible projects which the students can choose
from, but they will always have the choice of making their own
proposals.

I have told them that we would like to take part as developer partners. WDYT?

If you have got more questions or suggestions, let me know or contact
them directly at:

colabora-concurso-softwarelibre <AT> us <DOT> es

The creator of the contest, Pablo Neira, speaks English and is
managing the mailing list.

Regards,

Paloma

Re: [FYI] 1st Open-Source Coding Competition - Spain

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Paloma Gomez wrote:

> http://concurso-softwarelibre.us.es/index.html
> (I'm sorry but there is only a Spanish version)
>
> If you find it interesting, I could contact them and obtain more
> information.

yes, that would be nice :-)

It might also make sense to suggest to them to provide an english
version of their page such that communities, individuals
and companies which do not necessarily speak spanish "contribute"

Michi

> Thanks,
>
> Paloma
>
> --