Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net> on 2003/05/28 13:41:32 UTC

mod_jk2 : JNI configuration ALMOST working

I'm using mod_jk2 + Apache 2.0.45 + Tomcat 4.1.24

I managed to eliminate most of the errors from my JNI setup, except for
one. I get this error when Apache starts up :

[Wed May 28 19:17:33 2003] [notice] jni.validate() class=
org/apache/jk/apr/TomcatStarter
[Wed May 28 19:17:33 2003] [error] Can't find class
org/apache/jk/apr/TomcatStarter
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jk/apr/TomcatStarter
[Wed May 28 19:17:33 2003] [notice] vm.detach() ok

I'm not sure where TomcatStarter is (i.e. which jar file), and why can't
Apache find it ? I assume I will have to put the JAR file with
TomcatStarted inside the CLASSPATH.

Other than that, a few errors in the documentation and the pre-packaged
workers2.properties :

1. tomcat-jni.jar is inside $CATALINA_HOME/bin not $CATALINA_HOME/lib.
This needs to be corrected inside the [jvm] section of workers2.properties
2. The documentation (several levels down and tucked away right at the
end) says that for channelJni and UNIX sockets, you will need to add a
couple more directories to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH inside the environment
variables section of your Apache startup script. Well, the startup
script says that it reads from a file called "envvars", but Apache does
not seem to read that file. I had to execute "export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin:$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin/classic" in order
to get Apache to see this. Without doing this, you will get an error
where Apache says that it is unable to connect to a JVM.

Now if I can just get Apache to see TomcatStarter, I will be able to
sleep well tonight (not to mention watch "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" with
a clear mind)!

Regards,
pascal chong