Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Vincent Poon <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/29 02:25:33 UTC

WAN performance

I have a setup where many clients need to connect to many brokers over a WAN
and consume messages off the queues on these brokers.

What performance considerations should I keep in mind , given that this will
be over a WAN?  I've read about network of brokers - how exactly does that
improve the WAN performance?  What topology would be best for this kind of
setup?

TIA

Re: WAN performance

Posted by Vincent Poon <vi...@gmail.com>.

rajdavies wrote:

> Network of brokers is definitely the way to go - as you can use them
> as 'concentrators' on each side of the wan. It also allows more
> resilience - as networks use store and forward, if the WAN is
> unavailable, the local clients can still carry on communicating with
> their local broker.
>

> cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> http://open.iona.com/products/enterprise-activemq
> http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the reply, Rob!  One more question - it sounds as if these
'concentrators' will then be single points of failure, as the local clients
are relying on them to communicate over the WAN.  Is there any way to setup
a failover in this scenario, so that in case one of the concentrators goes
down, a new broker can act as the concentrator?  I'm not sure how the
<networkconnector> setup would look like for this.

Thanks!

Re: WAN performance

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.