Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/16 10:31:27 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

This vote passes with 4 binding "+1" votes, no "0" notes, and 2 "-1"
binding votes. Despite the negative votes, we will release and fix the L/N
files in the next release and try to clarify the README. It is very
important to get this 2.4.4 release out ASAP.

Thanks to all voters!

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

> > This vote passes with 4 binding "+1" votes, no "0" notes, and 2 "-1"
> > binding votes.
>
> If you read carefully I think you find there were 3 -1 votes on the binary
> releases.

Agreed for binaries. However AFAIK, what Apache legally cares about is
sources.

> > It is very important to get this 2.4.4 release out ASAP.
>
> Given that the changes were not major and could of been quickly fixed I
> don't see the the need for the rush but no issue either way a long as they
> are fixed in the next release and before graduation.

There's a rush that has been discussed on private@. The reason will soon be
disclosed.. And given the 2x72h voting period, it was very problematic. And
honestly, too long since our community had an update of Groovy. Before we
joined Apache, releasing took a couple of hours, and releasing another
version was cheap. It's far from being the case anymore.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 16/07/15 19:48, Daniel Gruno a écrit :
> Can someone show me where in the bylaws this dreaded and apparently
> mandatory 72+ hour window is?
> When last I looked, it was the preferred thing to do in most
> circumstances, it was not _MANDATED BY LAW_.

Nobody said that. However, I like it when a pdoling absorbed the
information that a vote must be hold for 72 h : that means they
understand how it works.

That being said, you are right : those 72 h can be bypassed when required.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
Can someone show me where in the bylaws this dreaded and apparently
mandatory 72+ hour window is?
When last I looked, it was the preferred thing to do in most
circumstances, it was not _MANDATED BY LAW_.

If this issue is as serious as you say it is, fix the minor nits, call a
speedy new vote, get your 3x+1, get it shipped.
Just don't make it a habit.

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, July 16, 2015, Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org> wrote:

> Am 16.07.2015 18:49, schrieb Roman Shaposhnik:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 1:47 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> True. I -1 the binary release. Interesting case : should we release if
>>> we have as many -1 than +1 ?
>>>

>> Personally, I'm disappointed in the podling for not taking
>> care of feedback that seems really easy to take care of.
>>

> but not in time, because the apache process is too slow. What so you
> prefer? A unfixed zero-day vulnerability reported against an apache
> project, or a podling release which is not 100% according to strict apache
> views. We are not a TLP yet after all.
>
> And this release is a special case.
>
> That security fix is the only reason why we did want release ASAP. We own
> it to the community to be able to react to such things fast. And I really
> would not like to explain to our users that we could not do a release,
> because of a minor issue. If the apache process would not be so slow, we
> would of course have made it different. But waiting another 6 days, while
> some will be in holidays already, would have been a problem.

Security problems must be dealt with as fast as possible even if it means
twisting the apache process.

rgds
jan i

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
Realizing I forgot the link to the release doc (WIP):
http://groovy-lang.org/wiki/incubation-release-process.html

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
On 17/07/2015 8:09 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 17/07/15 12:02, Jochen Theodorou a écrit :
>> Am 17.07.2015 09:31, schrieb Emmanuel Lécharny:
>> [...]
>>> Now, I'm a bit scared : why the hell can't we make it easier to cut a
>>> release at Apache for this project ? I mean, the infrastructure should
>>> not be a limitation here : we do have a CI, we most certainly can tune
>>> it to fit Groovy.
>>
>> that would not change anything. What makes things complicated is
>> points of human interaction in the middle of the release process. That
>> won't be different with a better tuned CI
> I'm puzzled. Cédric said in a previous mail that before being an Apache
> podling, releasing was just a matter of a couple of hours and very few
> human interaction. What makes it so more complex in an Apache environement ?

Cédric already explained in other emails and in his release process
documentation some of the nitty gritty details so I won't repeat that.
The tl;dr version is that we had a fully automated process that took
care of many of the tricky aspects of a Groovy release (we have to
build on recent JDK versions to bake in invoke dynamic behavior but
still run on old JDK versions and avoid the many JDK versions with
early buggy invoke dynamic support). Our previous setup used
machines (outside ASF) and software (Team City) that don't fit the
Apache mold. We have broken our original process into pieces so that
we can stop it (e.g. for voting) half-way through and so that we have
artifacts that we can potentially feed back into existing Apache
processes. Over time we could retrofit more of the pieces that don't
fit the current mold into more Apache friendly variants but we aren't
in a position to down tools for three months and change everything now.
Our users expect new features and new releases and we must balance
the time we spend on sideways or backwards movements on the
infrastructure side of things.

Cheers, Paul.

---

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
I'm particularly interested in the build / release aspect here. What were
the Cordova struggles.
For the L&N, that's indeed a human task that has to be done once (plus some
Rat & automated checks)
What I'd like is to be able to automate the release as much as possible,
with the least error prone human interaction.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> [...]
> And if folks are interested in other stories about release process
> inefficiency, I will write to some Cordova folks off-list and ask them to
> add their thoughts to this thread.

Hmm this might be interesting, to see if there are some commonalities
between theirs and our problems with our now sub-par release process.
Apache, for me, should thrive for the best release quality process, but
we've had to regress in that area to comply with the Apache expectations
(with the various manual steps, etc), and I'm hopeful we can further
improve such process for more automation, less human intervention, shorter
release times, etc.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/17/15, 3:09 AM, "Emmanuel Lécharny" <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>that would not change anything. What makes things complicated is
>> points of human interaction in the middle of the release process. That
>> won't be different with a better tuned CI
>I'm puzzled. Cédric said in a previous mail that before being an Apache
>podling, releasing was just a matter of a couple of hours and very few
>human interaction. What makes it so more complex in an Apache
>environement ?

From my personal experience, before Apache you could ship anything you
want and if someone found an IP issue, you would fix it after you shipped.
 At Apache, the rules are more stringent (no binaries, L&N in jars), and
you get shamed for not catching stuff when there is no clear process for
catching that stuff.

In the end, it is necessary since clean IP is important to Apache and your
customers, but it isn’t efficient while you go through the cleaning up
process, especially in the incubator if your mentors don’t apply the same
level of scrutiny that will occur when the greater IPMC does its scrutiny.
 Our mentors never scrutinized our binaries and we are only now as a TLP
cleaning those up.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 17/07/15 12:02, Jochen Theodorou a écrit :
> Am 17.07.2015 09:31, schrieb Emmanuel Lécharny:
> [...]
>> Now, I'm a bit scared : why the hell can't we make it easier to cut a
>> release at Apache for this project ? I mean, the infrastructure should
>> not be a limitation here : we do have a CI, we most certainly can tune
>> it to fit Groovy.
>
> that would not change anything. What makes things complicated is
> points of human interaction in the middle of the release process. That
> won't be different with a better tuned CI
I'm puzzled. Cédric said in a previous mail that before being an Apache
podling, releasing was just a matter of a couple of hours and very few
human interaction. What makes it so more complex in an Apache environement ?

> [...]
>> I'd like to remember everyone that each project is quite able to define
>> the way they do things, as soon as they fits in the Apache process,
>> which is not that rigid.
>
> Not as rigid... on this list it has been made clear, that anything
> that is even remotely something like a release is to be handled as
> such. Furthermore, it was made clear, that third parties are supposed
> to be prevented to provide their own releases, even if it means to use
> the brand to force things. Even maven central is seen as evil in that
> sense. And of course any apache member is not allowed to do some kind
> f release on its own. This is just to give an example of the things
> that accompany the process. And those are rigid already.

Let me be clear : I'm cutting releases for years on Apache projects. The
process is quite simple :
- I use Maven *locally*. When the release is completed, I just have to
close the staging repository on Nexus, and push the packages on dist.
Nothing that can't be done automatically, except closing the repository
- last, not least, I stage the release on nexus.

Tell me what's different for Groovy, that requires much more manual
processing ?

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi Cédric,

let me start with saying that I do appreciate your personal efforts
and the Groovy podling efforts in general. You guys are really
on-boarding quite well and are one of the easiest podling to mentor.

What I felt disappointed about is not that you produced a release
with L&N issues, but rather that you seems to have denied yourself
an opportunity to do it right based on incorrect assumptions. See bellow:

This email is not meant to block your RC (as it wasn't the case
with my original vote) but rather to try and refute some of those incorrect
assumptions.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 17/07/15 09:28, Cédric Champeau a écrit :
> Thanks Justin. We had read that document, but even reading the "binary
> section", it wasn't clear that source and binary L&N had to be
> different.

Guiding Principle :

"The |LICENSE| and |NOTICE| files must *exactly* represent the contents
of the distribution they reside in."

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
That’s why it would be great to have Justin write up a “This is how I test
a release” page somewhere that explains how he goes about it.  Mentors and
release managers should be able to generate the same data sets and try to
interpret it in the same way early in the release process.  You still may
not catch everything Justin will, but hopefully you will catch enough that
any issues found can be rolled to the next release.

-Alex

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 17/07/15 01:02, Justin Mclean a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>> +1 ! And adding such a tool into rat or whatever would be extremely
>> helpful, too...
> The “tools” I use generally make a bit of noise and require some interpretation / filtering so I’m not sure they could be automated cleanly. One thing rat might be able to do that I don’t think it currently does is detect files containing more than one license header.
>
> Best advice I can give is follow this guide [1] and use it when reviewing releases.

Thank Justin !

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 1:47 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 16/07/15 10:41, Justin Mclean a écrit :
>>> Hi,

>>> If you read carefully I think you find there were 3 -1 votes on the binary releases.
>>
>> True. I -1 the binary release. Interesting case : should we release if
>> we have as many -1 than +1 ?
>
> Personally, I'm disappointed in the podling for not taking
> care of feedback that seems really easy to take care of.

Again, saying we don't take this seriously is at best an error and
honestly unfair. We take it very seriously and I am very disappointed
that you think we don't.
If you look at the commits, you will see that we started fixing those
issues *before* the release vote was finished. We *deserved* a release
for the community and *it was critical*. The
reasons why were explained on private@, and we could *not* afford
another 2x72 voting period + 24h mitigation period, that could also
potentially fail the IPMC vote (yes, because despite
the fact that we fixed all issues reported for our first trial, the
second had undetected errors too). Also, why having rules for votes if
you don't follow them? Like it or not, it passed the vote.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 16/07/15 18:49, Roman Shaposhnik a écrit :
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 1:47 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 16/07/15 10:41, Justin Mclean a écrit :
>>> Hi,

>>> If you read carefully I think you find there were 3 -1 votes on the binary releases.
>> True. I -1 the binary release. Interesting case : should we release if
>> we have as many -1 than +1 ?
> Personally, I'm disappointed in the podling for not taking
> care of feedback that seems really easy to take care of.

I'm not.

They are dealing with a zero-day exploit, and it was clearly explained
on the private mailing list.

That some missing  and incorrect N&L were detected after the release has
been cut is unfortunate (or fortunate, considering taht it has been
detected), but this is know known and will be addressed. IMO,
considering that a new release will occur soon, for which patches will
be applied to fix those incorrect N&L is good enough to vote this release.

I seriously *wish* that all the other Apache projects are as respectful
to the requirements regarding N&L, and I must say that, having been
through Seb scrutinity (thanks, Seb, btw), my own projects were not
perfect despite many releases that have been cut in the past.

I find it a but tough to say you are disapointed, because they *have*
considered the pros and cons of releasing now vs postponing to get the
N&L fixed.

>> I'll change my vote to -0 to avoid sucha  dead lock :-)
>>
>> I expect the groovy podling to cut a release asap that fixes the N&L issues.
> That's my strong expectation as well. If we're doing this whole
> mentoring thing -- lets do it right.

I think they are doing it right, so far. My  remark was more for the
record than anything else.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,