Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Pavel Pervov <pm...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/04 09:55:04 UTC

[drlvm][build] deploy.canonical ant task

Dear all,

Can we exclude this task from DRLVM's build.xml default task? It takes most
of build time when rebuilding only several files while working with drlvm
code.

AFAIU, exect content of this directory exists at

Regards,
    Pavel Pervov.

Re: [drlvm][build] deploy.canonical ant task

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Ok - I'm going to suggest something different that gets you what you
>> want, namely pass a flag to do the "fill up canonical" rather than pass
>> the deploy directory.
>>
>> That way, the build process is always the same, with an extra step if
>> you ask for it, rather than have it slightly variable as you suggest in
>> the patch.
>>
>> Make sense?
>
> Sounds acceptable to me.
> (Though I still believe that copying is unnecessary).

Why?  Having a "well known" target to find stuff is good.  Having the
standard build (from DRLVM POV) be standard is also good.  I guess that
the best way would be simply to create a link so that the caller outside
DRLVM could just pick up the material that way.

Anyway, since now the copying doesn't happen, why is it bad for the
federated build?  It's slow on windows compared to linux, but that's not
surprising...

geir

Re: [drlvm][build] deploy.canonical ant task

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 not to copy by default, but do it by request.

And the reason is not performance. The reason is that I never remember if my
'deploy' folder contains a release or debug build. So I use folders with a
full name.

On 10/4/06, Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@intel.com> wrote:

> Pavel Pervov wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Can we exclude this task from DRLVM's build.xml default task? It takes
> most
> > of build time when rebuilding only several files while working with
> drlvm
> > code.
> >
> > AFAIU, exect content of this directory exists at
>
> The HARMONY-1085 has been filed some two months ago to do just that:
> stop copying jre from platform-specific directory to just deploy/
> directory.
>
> I have just updated patches in HARMONY-1085 to match current SVN trunk.

Mikhail Fursov

Re: [drlvm][build] deploy.canonical ant task

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.