Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marcus Leon <Ma...@baltimore.com> on 2002/09/13 23:21:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Does Apache 2 allow modules to read post data non-destructively?

With Apache 2, is it possible to write a module that reads HTTP POST data
and still have this data accessible by scripts (eg. PERL) running after the
module?

In Apache 1 this is not possible.  If you read post data in your module it
is wiped out by Apache and is inaccessible by subsequent scripts.

Thanks

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for
direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept for Content Security threats, including
computer viruses.

http://www.baltimore.com

computer viruses.

Re: [users@httpd] Does Apache 2 allow modules to read post data non-destructively?

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, John K. Sterling wrote:

> On Friday, September 13, 2002, at 05:21 PM, Marcus Leon wrote:
>
> > With Apache 2, is it possible to write a module that reads HTTP POST
> > data
> > and still have this data accessible by scripts (eg. PERL) running
> > after the
> > module?
> >
> > In Apache 1 this is not possible.  If you read post data in your
> > module it
> > is wiped out by Apache and is inaccessible by subsequent scripts.
> >
> I believe it is the same with apache 2 - though there was some talk of
> allowing you to 'peek' ahead into the buckets without plowing through
> them.

It is possible to "read" the post data, by creating an input filter.  The
input filter can do processing on the data, and then pass it to the next
filter.  If you are just looking for something in the data, then you can
find it and set a flag.  If you need a full copy of the data, then you
will have to copy it yourself.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610

Re: [users@httpd] Does Apache 2 allow modules to read post data non-destructively?

Posted by "John K. Sterling" <jo...@sterls.com>.
On Friday, September 13, 2002, at 05:21 PM, Marcus Leon wrote:

> With Apache 2, is it possible to write a module that reads HTTP POST
> data
> and still have this data accessible by scripts (eg. PERL) running
> after the
> module?
>
> In Apache 1 this is not possible.  If you read post data in your
> module it
> is wiped out by Apache and is inaccessible by subsequent scripts.

I believe it is the same with apache 2 - though there was some talk of
allowing you to 'peek' ahead into the buckets without plowing through
them.

sterling