Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Christian Goetze <ch...@rostock.igd.fhg.de> on 2003/07/15 15:48:35 UTC

Problem regarding StructureImpl.create

Hi there,

I have a problem creating collections ba a user. The scenario:

There is a directory structure /test/test2. User X has all permissions on
the URI /test/test2 inherited. Now he wants to create the collection
/test/test2/test3 and an exception occurs.

By looking at the Slide sources I saw that for creating /test/test2/test3
the user X must have at least reading permisisons on / and /test. If he has
not, an AccessDeniedException is thrown.

For the project we are working in it is important that a user has a home
collection and cannot access higher level collections.

Is there any idea how we can avoid this problem without hacking the slide
source?

Regards,
Christian

Re: Problem regarding StructureImpl.create

Posted by Michael Smith <ms...@speedlegal.com>.
Christian Goetze wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem creating collections ba a user. The scenario:
>
> There is a directory structure /test/test2. User X has all permissions
> on the URI /test/test2 inherited. Now he wants to create the collection
> /test/test2/test3 and an exception occurs.
>
> By looking at the Slide sources I saw that for creating
> /test/test2/test3 the user X must have at least reading permisisons on /
> and /test. If he has not, an AccessDeniedException is thrown.
>
> For the project we are working in it is important that a user has a home
> collection and cannot access higher level collections.
>
> Is there any idea how we can avoid this problem without hacking the
> slide source?

You could give the users NON-inheritable read permissions on / and
/test. This doesn't let them do anything useful with those directories,
but does give them sufficient permissions that they can access stuff
further down (i.e. in their home directory), as you want.

Note that the webdav ACL protocol is too limited, and you cannot set
these permissions using it. You have to use the native slide interfaces.

Mike