Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Roy Fielding <fi...@beach.w3.org> on 1995/09/17 22:26:56 UTC

Re: +0 votes...

>	look can we say that if only one person votes +1 for foo.patch
>and everyone else votes +0 then it passes?  I don't want to vote +1 on
>*ANYTHING* that I can't test.  Fix the voting system, don't make me lie.

I guess I should explain how this works...

   A +1 says that you have tested your system and verified that it
       a) works on your system (if you can test that), or
       b) doesn't break something else on your system;
   and that you agree the action item may be appropriate for Apache

The key here is that we are looking for unforeseen interactions
with a variety of systems.  The number of +1 votes only matters in
that a minimum number of peers have looked at the patch before it
gets applied to the build.

The reason why this works is because it only takes one veto (-1) to
stop a patch.  Even if you can't test the item yourself, you can have
faith that at least one person will test it and therefore will be able
to veto the patch if it doesn't work as advertized.

Now, that doesn't always prevent the odd patch from slipping through,
but then no system is perfect, and it does serve to keep us on our toes.

Oh, and BTW, 0 votes are allowed on patches as well -- we just left
that bit out of the file.

I'll put together a patch for these clarifications (along with the ones
raised by Ben earlier) to the voting.html file.

.....Roy