Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Neha Sancheti <ne...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/27 19:25:26 UTC

Fwd: regarding a bug while verifying that a server can start.

hi,

I am having a problem while using tomcat.
I have installed tomcat in the following destination:"F:/WinApps/Tomcat
5..5"

I successfully installed it and have set my JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME
variables to  ".;F:\WinApps\Tomcat 5.5\" and "F:\WinApps\Java\jdk 1.5"
respectively.

My CLASSPATH is ".;F:\WinApps\Java\jre1.5.0_12\lib\ext\mysql-
connector-java-5.0.7-bin.jar;F:\WinApps\Tomcat
5.5\common\lib\jsp-api;F:\WinApps\Tomcat
5.5\common\lib\servlet-api"

Also the two files:
1)context.xml :
     It has beeen modified  from  <Context>......  to <Context
reloadable="true">
2) server.xml:
     The server mapping and invoker servlet have been uncommented.

Problem:
   Now when i verify that my server can start:
   I type in the browser-"Internet Explorer"---http://localhost:8080 .
  On this ,it displayes a dialog box asking the username and password.
  I am attaching the snapshot of this dialog box and my tomcat-users.xmlfile.

 The problem is : Whatever usernames and password i enter, it tells me
"Unauthorised User".

I cannot understand why is it asking me for a username or password when i
haven't specified any password.
Also all combinations have been tried.

   Please help me. i am stuck here.

Regards,

Neha Sancheti.

Re: Fwd: regarding a bug while verifying that a server can start.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Hi Neha.

Please do not set the CLASSPATH or make any attempt to make the startup
pay attention to it.  jsp-api and servlet-api are already stored where
they will be found.  mysql-connector-java should be removed from the
jre's lib/ext directory and placed in tomcat's common/lib folder.

context.xml -- which context.xml?  The one in tomcat's conf should need
no modification.

server.xml -- the invoker servlet isn't specified there.  This will most
likely break things.

The default ROOT webapp needs no credentials and shouldn't prompt you
for any username or password.

Lastly, F: ???  Is this a mapped network drive or a physical drive
attached to the system.

--David