Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Daniel Freeman <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/23 05:54:50 UTC

Donation of TLF word processor

I've started a new thread for this, as the discussion started off-topic.

I agreed to donate my TLF-based word processor to this group.

@Harbs said he'd be interested to help getting it ready for donation - and
I wondered if anyone else would be interested in helping to get it ready?

It was quite a sophisticated and self-indugent project.  Text Wrapping
wasn't its only novel feature.

I've decided to bundle it with e2vector, as they share many classes, and
the two apps work together.

http://e2easy.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/e2publish-video-tutorials/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvakUrX9Hvc

What licensing do I use to hand it over?  MadComponents is MIT licensed -
do I use the same?  Any particular text comment to put at the top of the
source code?

Re: Donation of TLF word processor

Posted by hferreira <hf...@gmail.com>.
@Daniel Freeman

I have interest on your code for a project.
Please contact me.

Thank you,
Hugo.

--
Sent from: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Donation of TLF word processor

Posted by Harbs <ga...@gmail.com>.
Well, the way I see it is that there's the question of the project as a whole, and there's the question of pieces of it. Some of the functionality (such as text wrap) is something that has been requested quite a bit in the past. Maybe pieces of it can be added to the Flex components independent of the whole project. Tables is something that is missing in Flex as well. If that can be incorporated into Flex components, that should be very interesting too.

I actually did not realize that the project was so well developed. (Very impressive!) I wonder what could be done with the project as a whole. It looks quite interesting.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Out of interest, what new feature has the most number of votes ?
Maven support. You can take a look here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Apopularissues-panel

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Donation of TLF word processor

Posted by Daniel Freeman <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Alex,  I think all three of my projects e2publish, MadComponents, MC3D -
have reached the stage where they'd benefit from other people contributing
- and I'm ready to relinquish control for that to happen.  But I'm not sure
I've raised much interest from people on these forums - so I'll probably
look elsewhere for contributors.  I'll release e2publish if people are
interested - if not - I won't.

The unfortunate popularity of MadComponents has demanded my time and
commitment beyond what I'm comfortable with.  A lot of that is to do
with responding to community enquiries - as opposed to coding.

I already have the burden of maintaining a popular community project - I'm
sure you understand why I politely decline your invitation to expand my
Apache contribution - far beyond what I volunteered to contribute.

The regions algorithm looks interesting.  But struggling to get low-level
HTML/JavaScript to do something sophisticated - consistently across
platforms/browsers - yuk!

Re: Donation of TLF word processor

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
In theory, Apache is more about community than code.  Source code in Apache
is supposed to be there because the original contributor feels like it would
be better for more folks to contribute to continued development of the
source code.

Certainly you could argue that code being donated from Adobe doesn't conform
perfectly to these guidelines.  Apache Flex is warehousing source code that
you could argue is not going to see active development, but that's because I
think it is better to have the source code in Apache just in case someone
does need to fix a bug in it.

So for your code, the question is whether you want other folks to contribute
to it.  If you want to maintain some sort of control over what gets checked
in, then maybe it isn't a good fit for Apache.  And then there is the
question of whether there are is a community of folks who want to contribute
to your code.

I have no problem putting links on the Apache Flex site pointing to your
site as a member of the greater ecosystem of Flex and ActionScript.  Apache
Flex doesn't need to own every line of code anyone ever puts in their apps.

Now, if you want to start over with a new text layout engine, the FlexJS
framework I am working on will need something like that eventually.  Over
time it will need to achieve parity with what is possible in HTML and Adobe
is demoing the CSS Regions capability and we will need to match it.  TLF is
too heavy for my liking and I want to have fewer mismatches with HTML text
layout.  And when I get started on that, someone like you with experience
will be welcomed.  Also, you don't have to wait for me, you are welcome to
start on it yourself by offering up code.

HTH,
-Alex

Posted by Daniel Freeman <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ga...@gmail.com>.
Let's examine this further.

I can totally understand why you're not excited about your project being butchered. It looks like you put a lot of effort into it…

How do you see the project as a whole being useful as a donation? (It looks very cool, but I'm trying to understand the use case from the perspective of Apache.)

Posted by Daniel Freeman <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Daniel Freeman <ma...@gmail.com>.
>Do you have something other than a video that we can read to learn
more about this code?

Nothing else unless I build or write something for you.  I'm juggling my
time between a few things right now - what do you require?  It's pure
actionscript, and the UI is completely custom built.

>Do you actually own the code or was this done for a customer or employer?

This was a self-indulgent and time-consuming unfunded project.  (Like
MadComponents is!).

>Did anyone other than you contribute code?

No.

>Any other third-party components?

It uses Adobe's TLF, the Squiggly spell check, and as3corelib.swc

>What is the current license for the code?

I've never released the source to anyone - so no license right now.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.