Posted to commits@cassandra.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2013/09/06 01:14:02 UTC

[Cassandra Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by JonathanEllis

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Cassandra Wiki" for change notification.

The "FAQ" page has been changed by JonathanEllis:
https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=160&rev2=161

Comment:
add clocktie FAQ

   * [[#dropped_messages|Why do I see "... messages dropped.." in the logs?]]
   * [[#cli_keys|Why does the 0.8 cli not assume keys are strings anymore?]]
   * [[#memlock|Cassandra dies with "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Map failed"]]
-  * [[#opp|Why should I avoid order-preserving partitioners]]
+  * [[#opp|Why should I avoid order-preserving partitioners?]]
+  * [[#clocktie|What happens if two updates are made with the same timestamp?]]

  <<Anchor(cant_listen_on_ip_any)>>

@@ -512, +513 @@

  == Why should I avoid order-preserving partitioners? ==
  See [Partitioners].

+ <<Anchor(clocktie)>>
+ == What happens if two updates are made with the same timestamp? ==
+
+ Updates must be commutative, since they may arrive in different orders on different replicas.  Thus, in the case of a timestamp tie, Cassandra follows two rules: first, deletes take precedence over inserts/updates.  Second, if there are two updates, the one with the lexically larger value is selected.
+