Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Josh Emmons <je...@capitalprinting.com> on 2003/09/15 23:34:23 UTC

Axis runs as root?

I have an Axis service that creates a file on the server's file system.
  When I `ls -l` this file I see that, much to my surprise, it's owned
by root!  Does axis run as root by default?  How do I change it to run
as, say, "nobody"?  I looked through $tomcat/conf/server.xml and
$axis/WEB-INF/server-config.wsdd and didn't see any properties that
would let me set what user these apps run as.

Ideas, anyone?

Cheers,
-Josh Emmons

Re: Axis (or tomcat?) runs as root? OT

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Josh Emmons wrote:

>>I would assume that you are getting this behavior because you are
>>running Tomcat itself as root. Perhaps you are listening on port 80
>>(which requires you to run as root).
>>

>I thought so too, but for the life of me I can't find where to set the
>user tomcat runs as (and I'm running on 8080, so I don't need to run as
>root and would prefer not to).  Does tomcat just run as whoever executes
>the $tomcat/bin/startup.sh script?  Surely I don't have to su to nobody
>everytime I want to start or reload tomcat, right?

Tomcat does indeed just run as whoever executes the script. If you're
interested in more information you can see an article I wrote for
devWorks on Securing Linux for Java services at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-secjav.html that
discusses setting up Tomcat for automatic start, using its own account,
responding to port 80, and related issues.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services Support
http://www.sosnoski.com
Redmond, WA  425.885.7197

RE: Axis (or tomcat?) runs as root? OT

Posted by Samir Shaikh <ss...@worldres.com>.
Tomcat (& Axis) runs as which ever use executes ./startup.sh

Posted by Josh Emmons <je...@capitalprinting.com>.

Re: Axis runs as root?

Posted by Whitney Hunter <wh...@hunterfam.com>.
I would assume that you are getting this behavior because you are
running Tomcat itself as root. Perhaps you are listening on port 80
(which requires you to run as root).

Whitney