Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by drd_ <dh...@smartzip.com> on 2009/11/20 19:18:00 UTC

PIG bin/labeling relation

I am using PIG and this is what I am trying to do:

1) Sort a relation A into B by a field x. The smallest value of x is first.
Just use SORT.

2) Label each tuple in B with a number denoting its order in the sorted
relation. So the first tuple would be labeled with a 1, the second tuple
with a 2, the third with a 3 and so on. Not certain how to do this.

3) Derive a relation C where each row is a bag of tuples. The first row
contains the first n1 tuples from relation B, the second row contains the
tuples from B labeled (n1 + 1) to n2 from, the third row contains the tuples
from B labeled (n2 + 1) to n3 and so on to n100. This step is simple (just
use filter) once we've labeled each tuple in B with a number.

The question: how do I do step 2).

thanks

Re: PIG bin/labeling relation

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.
Unless you actually need the ordinal numbers, you can do it all in one step:
B = ORDER A by x PARALLEL 100;
Store B into ......

This will create 100 ordered part files, with the first part file
containing the first 100th of the data, the second -- the next 100th,
and so on. The fragments are approximate in size, so some may be
slightly bigger than others, but for a big enough dataset, they should
be roughly equal.

-D