Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Nishma Jain <nj...@transzap.com> on 2004/03/08 21:20:02 UTC

Checkbox in the pdf doc

Does anybody know how to generate check boxes in the pdf document? I have a
boolean data which I want to show as on or off checkbox just as HTML check
box.

Thanks,
Nishma

Re: Checkbox in the pdf doc

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Mar 8, 2004, at 12:20 PM, Nishma Jain wrote:
> Does anybody know how to generate check boxes in the pdf document? I
> have a
> boolean data which I want to show as on or off checkbox just as HTML
> check
> box.
>
> Thanks,
> Nishma

This has been asked before. Unfortunately, FOP (and the XSL-FO 1.0
spec) currently does not accommodate for checkboxes (as in FORM
element: checkbox). These can be added using a post-processor (such as
iText, listed toward the bottom of the FOP Other Resources page [1]).
If you just want a character which looks like a check box, you can
check into the FOP Special Characters page[2].

Good luck!

Web Maestro Clay

[1]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/resources.html

[2]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/fo.html#xml-special-chars

RE: Checkbox in the pdf doc

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi,

There are several options:

- use SVG to draw a checked and a non-checked box depending the boolean
value
- find a font that has glyphs for the related Unicode cp's (enough basic
non-checked boxes, but the checked ones don't seem to be readily available
in the basic fonts)

As for myself, I mainly use the latter and my imagination --for example: the
basic ZapfDingbats font supports a lot of empty checkboxes from which you
can choose one, and for the 'checked' checkbox, you have a choice of many
other symbols...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Andreas