Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/02/12 20:15:05 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Uniform Project Procedures

The recent discussion on board@apache ("Bylaw paragraph in TLP
resolution", 2007-02-07), the comments in the "Graduate OFBiz
Podling" thread (http://www.mail-archive.com/
general@incubator.apache.org/msg11758.html) and "log4net graduation,
log4php retirement and Logging Services bylaws" thread ( http://
www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg12442.html)
suggest to me that it may be good for the Incubator project to
oversee a collaboration to produce a Uniform Project Procedures that
podlings, newly graduated projects and established projects could
adopt in whole or in part.

The idea is borrowed from Uniform Acts in the US Federal System, for
background info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Uniform_Acts_
%28United_States%29.

I would suggest that the Incubator PMC would host an effort to
establish a set of common procedure definitions in the Incubator
subversion repository.  I would suggest that the procedure
definitions be modular (one procedure per file, procedure can embed
other processes) and share a common set of actors.  I'd tend to favor
an XML syntax if it could be kept simple enough for hand editing and
comprehension, though I would not object to HTML or XHTML.  The
incubator PMC should provide numbered releases of the UPP so a PMC
could state that it adopts a specific version of UPP and not the SVN
HEAD.  A PMC should also be able to accept future releases of UPP by
default unless explicitly rejected by the PMC.  I would suggest some
status associated with the processes including Mandatory (an Apache-
wide process that a PMC can't opt out of), Required (a process that
the PMC can accept, reject or modify but a PMC member must follow),
or Advisory (a process that is helpful but can be adapted by a PMC
member to fit the situation).

I'd be willing to contribute as it would be more productive to work
on a common UPP and have Logging Services vote to adopt it than to
try to work out a revision to the Logging Services bylaws and could
probably come up with an initial set of actors and a few procedures
in a day or so.

If the UPP was around, the TLP boilerplate could change from:

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
 > and hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
 > and hereby is tasked with adopting of a set of procedures

where "adopting" would imply that accepting preexisting procedures is
the norm where "creating" implies that it is not the norm.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Uniform Project Procedures

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 13, 2007, at 6:03 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Curt Arnold wrote:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/
>> msg12442.html)
>> suggest to me that it may be good for the Incubator project to
>> oversee a
>> collaboration to produce a Uniform Project Procedures that podlings,
>> newly graduated projects and established projects could adopt in
>> whole
>> or in part.
>
> Tweak 2 things please.... they aren't Procedures - those are whatever
> suits the project at the current time...
>
> please substitute Policies (which are also dynamic but established,
> guiding
> principals) which is what every ASF project has had forever (even
> if they
> didn't really pay attention to the fact that they were following
> established
> traditions as policy).

I have no attachment to the name and I like policies better.  It does
broaden the scope to non-procedural issues so we could address
statements of condition as well.

> And these should be the Uniform Policies which already exist at
> http://www.apache.org/dev/ - I'm not suggesting they are complete, we
> should definitely help to flush them out.

I see http://www.apache.org/dev/ as the equivalent of US Federal Law
in the analogy.  There is a body of policy that is promulgated by the
Board to which all projects within ASF must adhere, lets call that
"Apache Policy".  The body of "Apache Policy" covers license policy,
source header policy, etc.  Then there are areas where the PMC are
allowed to establish their own policy, however it benefits the
community if the PMC-level policies are relatively consistent.  The
Uniform Project Policies would exist to address issues outside of
Apache Policy and could be adopted or ignored by PMC's at their
will.  Ideally, the UPP would be suitable for almost all of the
podlings to accept in whole.

> Projects at graduation should either have a commitment to follow them
> in whole; or have a written set of policies which are deliberately
> updated
> to suit that project.

I think that would lead to a cut-and-paste policies.  For example, if
the UPP established a procedure for the election of new committers,
the Harmony PMC may decide that it needs to add a requirement that
the committer has signed a document stating their exposure to the Sun
Java implementation.  I think it would be beneficial if the Harmony
PMC could just state that it adopts the UPP 1.0 with the additional
requirement that new committers have signed the disclosure document,
instead of having to replace that entire procedure or duplicate the UPP.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hey Curt,

On Feb 12, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> The recent discussion on board@apache ("Bylaw paragraph in TLP
> resolution", 2007-02-07), the comments in the "Graduate OFBiz
> Podling" thread (http://www.mail-archive.com/
> general@incubator.apache.org/msg11758.html) and "log4net
> graduation, log4php retirement and Logging Services bylaws" thread
> ( http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/
> msg12442.html) suggest to me that it may be good for the Incubator
> project to oversee a collaboration to produce a Uniform Project
> Procedures that podlings, newly graduated projects and established
> projects could adopt in whole or in part.
>
> The idea is borrowed from Uniform Acts in the US Federal System,
> for background info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> List_of_Uniform_Acts_%28United_States%29.

I appreciate where the idea comes from, but honestly this kind of
setup sounds a bit "heavyweight" to me -- we're not a government,
this is just some open source hacking :-). To me, some more
lightweight and informal (without a Name In Captial Letters) setup
which is more like a "template" to copy-paste onto your project
website should be enough, without having to understand concepts like
modular procedures, actors, and the like or an XML vocabulary to use
it....

just my two cents,

- Leo