Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Karl Hiramoto <ka...@hiramoto.org> on 2013/08/06 12:03:25 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL/TLS speed vs lighttpd

Hi,

Is it possible to speed up httpd  ssl?  In my tests serving a static
file compared to lighttpd,  lighttpd is about 7.5 times faster.

I used a default httpd configuration

The way i did my test was:

cd /document/root
mkdir -p ram
mount -t tmpfs -osize=512M tmpfs ram/
cd ram
dd if=/dev/urandom of=file.bin

wget --no-check-certificate https://localhost/file.bin -O /dev/null

My test system here is linux 3.9.11   on Intel i5 760  @ 2.80GHz

lighttpd does about 135 MB/sec
apache httpd  does 17.5 MB/sec

changing apache httpd.conf  with:
SSLCipherSuite RC4-SHA:AES128-SHA:HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5
SSLHonorCipherOrder on

apache httpd then does 18 MB/sec.

checking with google chrome,  with default configurations, both lighttpd
and apache httpd negotiate TLS 1.1.  AES 256  The self signed
certificate file apache httpd and lighttpd is identical. Both are linked
to the same openssl  libs.

I want to use apache httpd  on a LAN with gbit speed, serving files, and
using WebDAV.   When using embedded ARM processor @ 1ghz  apache httpd
is doing about 4MB/sec.

Any tips here?    Is the apache httpd doing a lot of copies of the data
from one buffer to another in the code that would be possible to
optimize out?

I would prefer apache httpd, as the webdav compatibilty is very good, vs
lighttpd webdav is not fully implemented.

Thanks,

Karl