Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diana Shannon <te...@mac.com> on 2002/05/23 23:03:00 UTC

new community section

Forrest friends,

Attached are proposed new files (and modifications for existing ones
created as unified diff) designed to ease integration of community
document submissions into existing project sites. The basic directory
structure:
- xdocs
   - community
      - tutorial
      - snippet
      - howto
         - book.xml
         - index.xml
          - bugzilla-patch
              - book.xml
              - howto-bugzilla-patch.xml
              - revision-howto-bugzilla-patch-2002-10-1.xml
              - my-images
                   - screen.gif

This allows all contributions to be modular, which in turns means they
are
   - simple to create: authors have access to a complete template
directory with everything they need,
   - simple to commit: just add new directory (with contribution) to
correct parent directory (howto, snippet, tutorial) and modify
corresponding book.xml and index.xml of parent, and
   - simple to revise: committers can add community revisions patches to
any page without analyzing. They just add patch as separate file in
proper directory with name beginning "revision-filename-...". Links to
this file's content get aggregated to document content based on
directory generator results. The idea behind this is we can include as
many revisions as often as necessary. Later on, time permitting, the
author or committer/editor can roll them into updated documents.

I've included only howtos, but the sitemap can handle all other types of
future contributions (tutorials, snippets, etc.) I included three
example how-tos: single-page, multiple-page with revisions, single-page
with image. These three variations helped me tweak the dtd and howto
stylesheet further. You'll find here an excellent how-to written by
David on the bugzilla patch process. I realize the multi-page howto on
xmlform isn't relevant to Forrest specifically, but I wanted to work on
something I also needed for Cocoon.

There are probably more elegant ways to accomplish this, but I think
you'll get the picture of what I'm trying to achieve. If this works for
Forrest, I'll make up template directories with template files and
instructions included. I'd like to use this approach for Cocoon asap.

I hope I provided all necessary files in good form. Thanks for your
feedback and revisions.

Diana

P.S. Please note this weekend is a three-day holiday in the States. I'm
going to stay away from my computer for that time and get my garden
planted :-)

RE: new community section

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
> From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
>
> No luck :-(
>
> as in: "patch -p3 -u --dry-run < diffs" ?
>
> Same errors...
>
> Could this be a line endings problem? Are you successful on your side?

I haven't tried I'm afraid.  Too busy atm rebuilding a laptop.

I wonder; I have problems with CVS/PATCH, so do you and
I had a similar conversation with Konstantin.  It makes me
wonder if that's why there are so many patches building up in
the Cocoon list... people don't know how to patch them.

It might be worth adding this info to a general how to use FAQ
when you work it out.

I'll (hopefully) be in a position to have a play in a couple
of hours (need to reinstall OS/Apps too).

Good Luck ;)

J.

RE: new community section

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
No luck :-(

as in: "patch -p3 -u --dry-run < diffs" ?

Same errors...

Could this be a line endings problem? Are you successful on your side?

</Steven>

RE: new community section

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
Steven,

Re: new community section

Posted by Diana Shannon <te...@mac.com>.
On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 06:13  AM, Steven Noels wrote:

Sorry, Stevennnn.

> I have difficulties applying your patch on my local copy.
>
> When doing a 'patch -u --dry-run < diffs' on my machine (Cygwin), I
> receive multiple warnings like this:
> can't find file to patch at input line 129
> Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?

For modified files, I simply did cvs diff -u from the xml-forrest. In
the meantime, I've attached modified files here.

> What's the purpose of "howto-bugzilla-patch copy.xml" in
> src\documentation\content\xdocs\community\howto\bugzilla-patch?

Something I forgot to delete. Sorry.

> Warning: I'm not too comfortable yet with diff and patch, so this could
> also be my problem. But I'm trying really hard ;-)

I'm not either, so I guess we need a How-To... :-)

Diana

RE: new community section

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Diannnna,