Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/17 22:24:04 UTC

[OT]AJAX System Requirements

Hi,

I have a small doubt regarding System Requirements for AJAX.Like Javascript
i just need AJAX Supported Browser and notepad(as editor) , or do i need
some thing else.Are there any small and simple examples on net to start
with.Any advice is highly appreciable.

--
Thanks & Regards
Srinivas

Re: [OT]AJAX System Requirements

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Have a look here:

http://www.omnytex.com/articles/

If you need something a little "meatier", try this:

http://struts.sourceforge.net/ajaxchat/index.html

Both are Struts-based examples of AJAX.  The first is meant to be a very
simple introduction, the second is a little bit more "real-world".

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Posted by Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Srinivas Jadcharla wrote:
> How can i implement the following code using AJAX
>
> // code starts
> <HTML>
> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
> alert('Hi');
> </SCRIPT>
> </HTML>
>
> // code ends
>
> By using javascript i just need a javascript supported browser and
> notepad(or any Editor).Iam very sorry if some one feels it as a dumb
> question.

It's not a dumb question, but it does kind of indicate you may not know
what AJAX really is.  I definitely suggest reading my article, or any of
the thousands of other introductions out there if you prefer, to get a
grasp on what AJAX is.

Frank

Re: [OT]AJAX System Requirements

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Srinivas Jadcharla wrote:
> Thanks Again frank,
>
> May be i didn't asked the question in proper way.Suppose i just have IE 6.0and
> Notepad.Will i be still able to work with Simple AJAX examles??I can still
> work with simple javascript examples with just IE and notepad.

Well, I there probably aren't too many examples that don't require
something server-side, but there are bound to be a few, and yes, you
could do all your AJAX development with just Notepad.  I would suggest
something a little meatier than Notepad, but if you wanted to just use
that, yes, you could.

However, AJAX generally isn't much use without some sort of server
component involved.  So now I'm again thinking you may need to do some
reading :)

But no, you don't need any other tools, or libraries, or anything like
that (although they might certainly be nice to have).  And you can even
do some simple AJAX work without a server involved at all, but that will
tend to be a bit limited.

Frank

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 1/17/06, Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Again frank,
>
> May be i didn't asked the question in proper way.Suppose i just have IE 6.0and
> Notepad.Will i be still able to work with Simple AJAX examles??I can still
> work with simple javascript examples with just IE and notepad.

Google is your friend. I recommend starting from searching what
XMLHTTPRequest is. Apple has a simple and clear example on that topic.

Michael.

Re: [OT]AJAX System Requirements

Posted by Srinivas Jadcharla <jd...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Again frank,