Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Rick Hegarty <sk...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/02 06:24:50 UTC

[unit] Test Specification for JUnit Testing

Hi Mohammed, Javier and Mani,

I have finally completed the JUnit Test Specification, and it is ready for
you to use: *https://netbeans-vm.apache.org/synergy/client/app/#/specification/390/v/2
<https://netbeans-vm.apache.org/synergy/client/app/#/specification/390/v/2>*

My apologies for the delay. It is big, and the current time estimate of 154
minutes to complete the testing is almost certainly too low. We can refine
the estimate as we test, but I didn't want that to delay the release of the
specification.

You will need to do four things before before testing JUnit, in this order:

   1. Download the latest release of NetBeans from
*https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-linux/
   <https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-linux/>* and unzip it.
   It works on all platforms. You can skip this step if you already have a
   fairly recent release (Build #379 or higher).
   2. Configure NetBeans. This is formally documented as the first test
   case in the JUnit Test Specification.
   3. Set up GlassFish as an application server. This is formally
   documented as the second test case in the JUnit Test Specification.
   4. Download and unzip the two projects (JUnitSampleProjectAnt and
   JUnitSampleProjectMaven) needed for the JUnit testing, and then open those
   two projects in NetBeans. Links to the projects are provided in the
   Description at the very start of the  JUnit Test Specification.

Once you have done all that just go through all of the test cases
sequentially, and let me know if you have questions.

Other points:

   - Please use JDK 8 or JDK 10 for testing as appropriate, as discussed in
   my earlier [unit] email.
   - I will be checking my email very regularly over the next couple of
   weeks so don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions, but be sure to
   copy everyone in the *[unit]* tribe (or just send it to NetCAT team).
   Either way, always prefix the email subject with *[unit]*.
   - We will be testing with JUnit 4.12, but I would like us to add some
   JUnit 5 tests to the specification if we have time, and you are all welcome
   to contribute documentation.
   - I also still need to complete TestNG Test Specification, but that is
   largely a matter of cutting and pasting from the JUnit Test Specification,
   so it should be ready soon.

Thanks to all of you for your help with this.

Rick