Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Douglas Franklin <pd...@yugm.org> on 2008/02/14 18:21:52 UTC

Rule for Images that show up anyway

I have Thunderbird set up not to show images by default.  But some
spammers have discovered a way to encode their images so that they show
despite my settings.  The latest example was exceptionally rude.
Is there some rule that I could add to my local.cf to catch any e-mail
that tries this end-run?
--Paul

--
Paul Douglas Franklin
Computer Manager, Union Gospel Mission of Yakima, Washington

Re: Rule for Images that show up anyway

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 09:21 14-02-2008, Paul Douglas Franklin wrote:
>I have Thunderbird set up not to show images by default.  But some
>spammers have

This is to block remote images.

>discovered a way to encode their images so that they show despite my
>settings.  The latest example was exceptionally rude.
>Is there some rule that I could add to my local.cf to catch any
>e-mail that tries this end-run?

The images which are displayed may be inline attachments.  See the
ImageInfo plugin on how to add a rule to score messages containing images.
  e.g. body ONE_OR_MORE_IMAGES  eval:image_count('all',1)

Regards,
-sm

Re: Rule for Images that show up anyway

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Paul Douglas Franklin wrote:

> I had deleted the message yesterday--thoroughly--and didn't think to ask this
> until today.
> Concerning ImageInfo, which sounds like a likely candidate, it's not
> installed on my system.  I have Kolab installed; it uses an earlier version
> of Spamassassin, I'm not sure exactly which one, somewhere around 3.2.x.

ImageInfo and possibly some custom meta rules to add score when both
BAYES_99 and IMAGE_* hit will probably take care of it.

I agree they are probably inline images, I just wanted to confirm that
assumption before suggesting a course of action.

   Phobias should not be the basis for laws.
  8 days until George Washington's 276th Birthday

Re: Rule for Images that show up anyway

Posted by Paul Douglas Franklin <pd...@yugm.org>.
I had deleted the message yesterday--thoroughly--and didn't think to ask
this until today.
Concerning ImageInfo, which sounds like a likely candidate, it's not
installed on my system.  I have Kolab installed; it uses an earlier
version of Spamassassin, I'm not sure exactly which one, somewhere
around 3.2.x.
I'm not sure whether I can add the plugin; I'm asking about that on the
Kolab list.
--Paul

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Paul Douglas Franklin wrote:

> I have Thunderbird set up not to show images by default.  But some
> spammers have discovered a way to encode their images so that they show
> despite my settings.  The latest example was exceptionally rude.
> Is there some rule that I could add to my local.cf to catch any e-mail
> that tries this end-run?

Would it be possible for you to post the entire raw message somewhere so
we can see how they are doing it?

  Warning Labels we'd like to see #1: "If you are a stupid idiot while
  using this product you may hurt yourself. And it won't be our fault."
  8 days until George Washington's 276th Birthday