Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/04 10:21:39 UTC

RPC Replication Compression

Hi,

Just wanted to make sure if I read in the internet correctly: 0.96 will
support HBase RPC compression thus Replication between master and slave
will enjoy it as well (important since bandwidth between geographically
distant data centers is scarce and more expensive)

Re: RPC Replication Compression

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>wrote:

> Replication doesn't need to know about compression at the RPC level so
> it won't refer to it and as far as I can tell you need to set
> compression only on the master cluster and the slave will figure it
> out.
>
> Looking at the code tho, I'm not sure it works the same way it used to
> work before everything went protobuf. I would give 2 internets to
> whoever tests 0.95.1 with RPC compression turned on and compares
> results with non-compressed RPC. See
> http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#rpc.configs

What are you looking for JD?  Faster replication or just less network used?

Looks like we have not had the ability to do compressed rpc before (We
almost did,  the original rpc compression attempt almost got committed to
trunk -- see HBASE-5355 and the referenced follow-on issue -- but was put
aside after the pb stuff went in).

St.Ack

Re: RPC Replication Compression

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Replication doesn't need to know about compression at the RPC level so
it won't refer to it and as far as I can tell you need to set
compression only on the master cluster and the slave will figure it
out.

Looking at the code tho, I'm not sure it works the same way it used to
work before everything went protobuf. I would give 2 internets to
whoever tests 0.95.1 with RPC compression turned on and compares
results with non-compressed RPC. See
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#rpc.configs

J-D

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.