Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by lee yun <yu...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/21 10:51:16 UTC

Interested in GSOC

Kathey Marsden:

Nice to write to you!  I'm a prospective GSOC student from China. I'm glad
to see Derby has been accepted as a mentor organization for this year's
GSOC, and you are the mentor for the subject "derby-testandfix ".
Congratulations!

After having travelled around the links about Derby provided on the wiki
page of SummerOfCode2009 on Apache, I would love to devote this summer on
Derby project.

I'm familiar with java and TDD which I insist on in my development, and I
still wonder:

1. What's the main part of code about Derby in GSOC, the kernel engine or
the outside utils?

2. Are there any other mentors? I have just seen only yourself in the mentor
list, may I know what's your favorite time period for this program.

3. Which skills is needed in the task, Junit, java, and anything else?

4. It's said, "Small projects and incremental check-ins mean your code can
make an impact right away and you have a wide choice of code areas to focus
on." Does it mean I will get access control of  the VCS  for Derby?

5. Besides java, should we use python in coding? Few months ago, I have
touched this language, and fallen in love with this language and would like
to improve my skills on python in development.

6. What can I do before I apply? Any necessary  documents for my future
work?

Thanks for your reply!

Best Regards
Yun Lee

Re: Interested in GSOC

Posted by yun lee <yu...@gmail.com>.
Kathey:

Thanks for your welcome and advices! They are useful!

2009/3/21 Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>:
> lee yun wrote:
>>
>> Kathey Marsden:
>>
>> Nice to write to you!  I'm a prospective GSOC student from China. I'm
glad
>> to see Derby has been accepted as a mentor organization for this year's
>> GSOC, and you are the mentor for the subject "derby-testandfix ".
>> Congratulations!
>
> Thank you for your interest in GSoC and Derby!
>>
>> After having travelled around the links about Derby provided on the wiki
>> page of SummerOfCode2009 on Apache, I would love to devote this summer on
>> Derby project.
>>
>> I'm familiar with java and TDD which I insist on in my development, and I
>> still wonder:
>>
>> 1. What's the main part of code about Derby in GSOC, the kernel engine or
>> the outside utils?
>>
> You can choose an area of interest, but I recommend you start with one or
> two of the newcomer bugs so that you can get experience with setting up
your
> build and test environment, interacting with the community and submitting
> patches.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&customfield_12310200=Newcomer&resolution=-1&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

It's useful, I will adopt it to get involved.

> Have you studied database in school or have experience with databases?

As a post graduate on CS, I have studied database, and done some MIS
projects with sql server.  However, I haven't developed a project on a
database itself before, Derby will be the first one----- an exciting touch!

>> 2. Are there any other mentors? I have just seen only yourself in the
>> mentor list, may I know what's your favorite time period for this
program.

> There are two other projects and mentors listed at
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009#derby-project
> but I am the only mentor for the fixandtest project.   If you have done an
> in depth study of database in school, you might find the
> derby-optimizerFixes project interesting as well.

Yes, I have found the other two now,  The subject
'derby-sequence-generators' has been accepted by the last year's GSOCer
Suran Jayathilaka  as school project. The subject 'derby-optimizerFixes'
seems more challenging, and I also like it. It prompts, " The successful
applicant for this project should have already demonstrated familiar with
the Derby development process (for example, by contributing fixes to
existing Derby issues), and should present a proposal which substantiates
the applicants willingness and ability to work on an intricate piece of
software." As what you suggested, I will build the working framework and run
Derby on my computer first, then I will chose some simple issue to work on,
with these experiences I can make a proper choice.

> By time period, do you mean time of day?
> For that I am usually available M-F 9-5 PDT, sometimes earlier, sometimes
> later.   You can usually find me on the derby IRC channel
> irc://freenode/derby during that time.

As I live in Beijing, +700 UTC,  e-mail maybe will be our main interactive
tool.:)

> You should subscribe to the Derby mailing lists
> http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html
> and can ask technical questions there any time of day.

I have subscribe it!

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev#head-afd6437de673800ea92ef5384c45bbb0d9abfc4a

> In your application call out specific issues you would like to work on and
> what work you have already done on Derby.    Please let me know your
> background with databases and I can recommend some issues. Also let me
know
> if you would like me to review your application.

I will submit my application for this GSOC after I finish some issues and
notify you right then. Thanks again for your help and encourage!

> Welcome !
>
> Kathey

Best regards

Yun