Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by student_t <cc...@cscinfo.com> on 2008/09/26 21:46:15 UTC

Lucene boost not working?

I am baffled by the results of the following queries. Can it be something to
do with the boosting factor? All of these queries are performed in the same
environment with the same crawled index/data.

A. query1 = +(content:(Pepsi))                              resulted in 228
hits.
B. query2 = +(content:(Pepsi) ) +(host:(ca)^10 )     resulted in 398 hits.
C. query3 = +(host:(ca)^10 )                                resulted in 212
hits.

Two questions (strictly just one):
1. query1 of any content contains Pepsi yielded 228 hits, how could a more
limiting query2 (give me all docs that have Pepsi in it with a domain of ca)
yield more hits (398)?
2. Since there are 212 hits of Canadian domains, how can query2 return 398
hits?

Thanks for any pointers!
Cheers,
student_t