Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mittal, Paran (Infosys)" <Pa...@astrazeneca.com> on 2015/05/12 13:13:57 UTC

Tomcat Vulnerabilities for 6.x and 7.x version

Hi Team,

We need to understand the fix for tomcat Vulnerabilities for 6.0.29 and 7.0 version.
We came across a CVE Reference:   CVE-2014-0230 which says
"When a response for a request with a request body is returned to the user agent before the request body is fully read, by default Tomcat swallows the remaining request body so that the next request on the connection may be processed. There was no limit to the size of request body that Tomcat would swallow. This permitted a limited Denial of Service as Tomcat would never close the connection and a processing thread would remain allocated to the connection"

Could you please provide us with the Fix or patch for the same as we could not found same on the apache tomcat site.

Thanks & Regards,
Paran Mittal

________________________________

Confidentiality Notice: This message is private and may contain confidential and proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system and note that you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of the contents of this message is not permitted and may be unlawful.

RE: Tomcat Vulnerabilities for 6.x and 7.x version

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Mittal, Paran (Infosys) [mailto:Paran.Mittal@astrazeneca.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat Vulnerabilities for 6.x and 7.x version

> We have checked the link but are unable to find the exact file name where changes need
> to be deploy or steps to follow to apply the fix.

To repeat: use the current releases if you want this non-problem fixed.  Tomcat does not supply patches, although you could - in theory - extract the relevant code and its dependencies from svn and apply those.  Much simpler (and safer) to install the current Tomcat version.

> As we are not able to understand the significance of any of the below links:

They document which security-relevant issues are corrected in which releases.  Start here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/security.html

- Chuck

Re: Tomcat Vulnerabilities for 6.x and 7.x version

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 5/12/2015 8:58 AM, Mittal, Paran (Infosys) wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> We have checked the link but are unable to find the exact file name
> where changes need to be deploy or steps to follow to apply the fix.

With Tomcat, you don't deploy changes, nor do you apply patches.  To get
fixes, you update at least to the version of TC that has the fix you
need.  Or, preferably, you update to the latest version, so you also get
other fixes that you didn't know you needed, but which are important anyway.

Posted by "Mittal, Paran (Infosys)" <Pa...@astrazeneca.com>.
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your reply.

We have checked the link but are unable to find the exact file name where changes need to be deploy or steps to follow to apply the fix.

As we are not able to understand the significance of any of the below links:

[cid:image001.jpg@01D08CBB.B6F3AC20]

Thanks & Regards,

Paran Mittal

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org<ma...@tomcat.apache.org>

________________________________

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Mittal, Paran (Infosys) wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> We need to understand the fix for tomcat Vulnerabilities for 6.0.29 and 7.0 version.
> We came across a CVE Reference:   CVE-2014-0230 which says
> "When a response for a request with a request body is returned to the user agent before the request body is fully read, by default Tomcat swallows the remaining request body so that the next request on the connection may be processed. There was no limit to the size of request body that Tomcat would swallow. This permitted a limited Denial of Service as Tomcat would never close the connection and a processing thread would remain allocated to the connection"
>
> Could you please provide us with the Fix or patch for the same as we could not found same on the apache tomcat site.

Hi.
I think that this topic has already been extensively discussed on the list.
Please check if this does not already answer your question, if any :

http://marc.info/?t=143086654700005&r=1&w=2