Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Justin Fagnani <ju...@fagnani.com> on 2005/10/11 06:55:12 UTC

Getting started (again)

Hey Cocooners,

I've been away from Cocoon for a while (and server side web dev) and
I'm starting another project that may call for it. I've been looking
into the changes since I was using it and there seem to be a lot of
nice improvements and new technologies, but getting a handle on the
whole package looks as difficult as ever. Basically I need to
evaluate frameworks for a fairly basic website that needs to be up
quickly and then have features added to it. I'm trying not to re-
invent anything, but I also want to be able to nicely integrate and
customize the components. Common wishes, I suspect.

So I want to find existing projects and learn more about the current
best practices for 2.1.7.

First, from quickly trying to cover docs, the dev list and a little
of the user list I think these are the most current, or endorsed,
technologies in Cocoon, but correct me if I'm wrong:

JXTemplate, cforms, JavaFlow/FlowScript

This replaces what I'm used to in XSP, XSLT, Actions and Generators,
right? It raises a few questions for me: I always liked XSP and did a
good job a separating view from controller, is it really frowned
upon? Can JXTemplates do most of what XSP could? What can't it? Most
importantly, for a competent Java developer, which is easier/faster
to work with? Considering CSS on the client and templates in Cocoon,
is XSLT used much anymore?

I'm also unsure what the best way to store data might be since I see
so many references to Hibernate, OJB, ESQL, etc. I usually had custom
generators that performed queries. Assuming that I'm going to go with
MySQL, what's the preferred method now? I'd actually love to find a
way to avoid writing SQL and Java business objects at all, if it's
possible.

The site has pretty basic needs, so I'd love to find pre-existing
Cocoon based implementations. I'm afraid though that even if there
are projects for these that they might be developed using different
Cocoon technologies and difficult to integrate. The main thing to
integrate actually is users, authentication and preferences.

Here's the features I'll need to find or develop: Blog, Forum,
Mailing list, Wiki, Content Management, Calendar, webmail (doesn't
really need to be Cocoon based actually). I'm not sure which order
they'll be implemented, but the site will probably go live without
most of them and then have them added.

Well, thatnks in advance for any input you can give me. I read most
of the "Is Cocoon Obsolete" thread on the dev list, and all I can say
is that I hope not, since on a higher level I understand and very
much like it's main architectural concepts. It's just very hard to
wade through all the pieces and options and changes and figure out
how to actually get going. Choices are almost a bad thing in the
beginning. A little clarification and simplification could help a lot
here. But I'm glad to see how things have advanced since I've used it.

Thanks,
   Justin

Re: Getting started (again)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 11 oct. 05, à 06:55, Justin Fagnani a écrit :
> ...I've been looking into the changes since I was using it and there
> seem to be a lot of nice improvements and new technologies, but
> getting a handle on the whole package looks as difficult as ever..

You should have a look at the new bricks-cms example app that was
presented last week at the GT, see
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BricksCms

-Bertrand

Re: Getting started (again)

Posted by Jonas Lundberg <my...@gmail.com>.
For blog, forum, normal web pages, and very basic content management,
I mainly use Coccon/eXist/xQuery. I also have some additional XSLT,
one XSP page and one Flow Script.
If I would add some technology, then it would be cforms with ajax. But
that would not replace my use of eXist/xQuery.

A blog and a forum are basically the same thing, only the layout
differs. To get normal web pages, the text layout needs to be less
strict, but basically, that is the same thing as well.

Best regards
Hans

Re: Getting started (again)

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
Hi Justin,

On Oct 10, 2005, at 9:55 PM, Justin Fagnani wrote:

> [...]
> So I want to find existing projects and learn more about the current
> best practices for 2.1.7.
>
> First, from quickly trying to cover docs, the dev list and a little of
> the user list I think these are the most current, or endorsed,
> technologies in Cocoon, but correct me if I'm wrong:
>
> JXTemplate, cforms, JavaFlow/FlowScript
>
> This replaces what I'm used to in XSP, XSLT, Actions and Generators,
> right?

Definitely yes for XSP.

The standard generators and actions that were useful before are still
useful now.  That's especially true for generators.  The actions I use
are pretty much limited to the auth framework, setHeaderAction, stuff
like that.

The real main difference is that there is now not so much emphasis
(none, really) on writing custom application-specific generators,
actions etc.  I started with Cocoon just after flowscipt and CForms
(when it was called "Woody") were introduced, and I have never written
an application-specific pipeline component.

XSLT is not obviated by the flow+JXTG+cforms paradigm.  XSLT is fine,
and you still use it for the same things as before.  There are
sometimes a few corner cases in implementation design where you might
have a choice to do something using JXTG vs. XSLT (in the latter case,
using stylesheet parameters generated e.g. using the flow attribute
input module), but in general they serve separate needs.  JXTG is
specifically for pushing data from the flow layer into the XML stream.
XSLT is for transforming XML.

>  It raises a few questions for me: I always liked XSP and did a good
> job a separating view from controller, is it really frowned upon?

Yes.:-)  Go with the "flow", you will like it even better :-)

> Can JXTemplates do most of what XSP could?

The flow+JXTG combination, yes.

> What can't it? Most importantly, for a competent Java developer, which
> is easier/faster to work with?

I've never used XSP, so I can't compare from direct experience... I'll
leave that question to somebody else, except to say that by all
accounts logicsheets were a nightmare to debug (I seem to recall the
exact phrase being "a living hell" in one of the dev list emails :-)

> Considering CSS on the client and templates in Cocoon, is XSLT used
> much anymore?

Yes, see above.  XSLT templates are transformation templates, JXTG
templates are generation templates, and CSS doesn't affect that picture
as far as I can see.

> I'm also unsure what the best way to store data might be since I see
> so many references to Hibernate, OJB, ESQL, etc.

Forget ESQL.  I really like Hibernate, but unless you already are
experienced with it, I don't know that I'd recommend that approach for
your "simple site, need to get up and running quickly" needs.  Learning
Hibernate is definitely worth it, but you're also in for some serious
learning curve.  And while Hibernate generally gets you out of writing
SQL, you do need to write Java business objects.  Hibernate can
generate these for you (using the "hbm2java" tool), but I don't think
I'd recommend that approach for you.  If I were in your shoes, there
are other options (see below...)

>  I usually had custom generators that performed queries. Assuming that
> I'm going to go with MySQL, what's the preferred method now? I'd
> actually love to find a way to avoid writing SQL and Java business
> objects at all, if it's possible.

You could use SQLTransformer.

Or... there is some code in the samples or scratchpad or somewhere,
that does SQL directly from flowscript.  That could be hammered into
shape for production use...

Or... rumor has it that somebody is doing some work on integrating JDBI
into Cocoon (or providing code examples... maybe there isn't really
anything to "integrate").  You could ask around about that.

> Here's the features I'll need to find or develop: Blog, Forum, Mailing
> list, Wiki, Content Management, Calendar, webmail (doesn't really need
> to be Cocoon based actually). I'm not sure which order they'll be
> implemented, but the site will probably go live without most of them
> and then have them added.

For content management... Lenya, Dasiy and Hippo are all Cocoon-based.

> Well, thatnks in advance for any input you can give me. I read most of
> the "Is Cocoon Obsolete" thread on the dev list, and all I can say is
> that I hope not.

No worries :-).  Stefano chose hyperbolic language for the subject of
his email for "wake-up call effect" (and remember, in his mind, like
for a lot of us, Struts went "obsolete" years ago :-)

well anyway, welcome back to Cocoon :-)
—ml—