Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/04 22:13:13 UTC

[libcloud] Cloud storage providers/drivers

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any plans for libcloud to support various
cloud-based storage backends, such as Amazon S3, Rackspace CloudFiles,
etc. I think it would be an interesting addition to libcloud. I
wouldn't mind giving S3 a shot for example. Let me know if there is
any interest.

Grig

Re: [libcloud] Cloud storage providers/drivers

Posted by Dan Di Spaltro <da...@cloudkick.com>.
I think getting the abstraction should be easy.  A generic object
store is a pretty simple interface.

-Dan

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Grig,
>>
>> We did address this in libcloud's Java initiative.  After implementing a Java port of libcloud, we pulled SimpleCloud under the libcloud umbrella to provide storage, queue, and table services.  Following the libcloud design patterns, we've implemented working adapters for Amazon S3 and Nirvanix.  Rackspace has also expressed interest in contributing an adapter for CloudFiles.  Take a look at the Java repository for the implementation:  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/libcloud/sandbox/java/trunk/src/simplecloud/storage
>>
>> I think this would be great in the python base, too.
>>

> Thanks for the pointers to the Java code.
>
> So how would you envision adding storage providers to the python
> codebase? Would there be a simplecloud directory under the top
> libcloud directory, in parallel with the libcloud directory which
> contains base.py? So something like:
>
> libcloud/
>        libcloud/
>                base.py
>                providers.py
>                drivers/
>        simplecloud/
>                storage/
>                       base.py
>                       providers.py
>                       drivers/
>
> ....and then you would define the base storage classes similarly to
> the Java interfaces in simplecloud/storage/base.py, and the actual
> implementations in drivers/S3.py.
>
> Would this make sense?

No, simplecloud in a directory name does not make sense. 'storage' would.

Re: [libcloud] Cloud storage providers/drivers

Posted by Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2011, at 6:04 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
>> httpd shipped pcre for ages, which was BSD-licensed.
>> If you go looking through the documentation at
>>

>> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a
>>

>> you'll see lots of Apache-compatbile licenses that have
>> already been approved for inclusion in our work.
>
> Wonderful. Thank you!

That's good news! I'll try to make some progress with the S3 code then.

Posted by Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jed Smith <je...@jedsmith.org>.

Posted by Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Grig,

Posted by Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Davis <to...@dislocatedday.com>.
I like this structure, too. +1

Posted by Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
2010/11/4 Tomaž Muraus <to...@cloudkick.com>:
> I envision splitting it into two parts - "compute" and "storage".
>
> So something like this:
>
> libcloud/
>    libcloud/
>        __init__.py
>        compute/
>            base.py
>            providers.py
>            drivers/
>        storage/
>            base.py
>            providers.py
>            drivers/
>
> Also another question about implementation arises here.
>
> Imo, it would be useful if we can implement the Python "File object"
> interface, because then the storage backends could also be used with Django
> and other libraries which rely that the "file like objects" implement the
> File object interface.
>
> What do others think?

I think providing a File object interface is useful, I'm not sure if
the 'default' mode should be that, maybe a asFileObject method?

But basically, +1.

Re: [libcloud] Cloud storage providers/drivers

Posted by Tomaž Muraus <to...@cloudkick.com>.

Posted by Grig Gheorghiu <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Grig,

We did address this in libcloud's Java initiative.  After implementing a Java port of libcloud, we pulled SimpleCloud under the libcloud umbrella to provide storage, queue, and table services.  Following the libcloud design patterns, we've implemented working adapters for Amazon S3 and Nirvanix.  Rackspace has also expressed interest in contributing an adapter for CloudFiles.  Take a look at the Java repository for the implementation:  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/libcloud/sandbox/java/trunk/src/simplecloud/storage

I think this would be great in the python base, too.

- Eric

The Java initiative for libcloud did touch on this.  We pulled SimpleCloud under the libcloud umbrella