Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/18 16:52:54 UTC

What is a plugin? geronimo or maven?

It looks to me as if we are well on our way to use the groupId of
org.apache.geronimo.plugins for both maven plugins and geronimo
plugins.  This might not be the wisest thing we ever did.

What if we changed the maven plugins to use
org.apache.geronimo.maven?  Aside from massive backwards
compatibility problems :-) this seems to me as if it might be the
most appropriate naming change.

thanks
david jencks

Re: What is a plugin? geronimo or maven?

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.
Sounds good to me and 2.0 is a great time for it.

-Donald

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 20, 2007, at 6:00 AM, David Jencks wrote:
> I don't think we've been specific enough about what goes where for
> jason's proposal to make sense yet, as gianni points out.
>
> I'm sure we don't want all 100K artifacts we produce all under
> o.a.g or o.a.g.server
>
> I was assuming that o.a.g.server would basically have the kernel
> and system stuff in it and little else -- maybe some basic naming
> support.
>
> then e.g. o.a.g.connector would have connector, transaction, jpa,
> connector-builder, persistence builder in it with the appropriate
> configs as well

Folks, don't get a head of yourselves... there are a few different
issues here.

One of them is the groupId for that we have now with the structure we
have now.  I believe that we should change the base groupId to
org.apache.geroniom.server to match to svn module.  This can be done
now, or soon, and should probably be done at the same time when the
plugins groupId is changed.

Everything else is related to large scale restructuring of the
project, the above has nothing to do with restructuring.  I have sent
email about this before, though we've never come to any conclusions
about how to resolve it.  And... right now I don't think we need to
come to any conclusions, as I don't think we are ready to start on
this work yet.

> That way no group would be too large to understand at once.
> However I think it might still be good to have some easy way to
> distinguish the code subprojects from the car/module subprojects
> and I'm not sure how to do that well yet.  Right now there are 2
> indications: whether the artifact ends up in modules or configs,
> and whether it starts with "geronimo-" or ends with .car.

Sure, we need to solve this problem.  I'm not sure what the best
solution is, though for the g1.1-amq4 stuff I simply suffixed the car
modules with "-config":

      https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/g1.1-activemq4/

I hope we can eventually get the server/trunk tree organized so that
features, like amq, can be organized into directories like this one,
where all (or most) of the modules are all peers like this.

--jason

Re: What is a plugin? geronimo or maven?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 20, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2007, at 7:39 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
>> On 3/20/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I don't think we've been specific enough about what goes where for
>>> jason's proposal to make sense yet, as gianni points out.
>>>
>>> I'm sure we don't want all 100K artifacts we produce all under o.a.g
>>> or o.a.g.server
>>
>> I mostly definitely agree. In the maven repo, dumping all the
>> artifacts in the o.a.g.server directory would be very confusing.
>
> WAIT!   We most certainly are not going to be dumping all artifacts
> into one groupId... so lets just stop that talk here... that does
> not make sence, will not happen.

In retrospect I should have rephrased this.  I just got a bit
frustrated... and I apologize.

We certainly need to deal with the huge number of modules we have and
how they represented in the src tree and into the repo.  I don't
think we can fix that just yet, as the change to make that happen is
larger than simply changing the groupIds.

--jason

Re: What is a plugin? geronimo or maven?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 20, 2007, at 7:39 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
> On 3/20/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I don't think we've been specific enough about what goes where for
>> jason's proposal to make sense yet, as gianni points out.
>>
>> I'm sure we don't want all 100K artifacts we produce all under o.a.g
>> or o.a.g.server
>
> I mostly definitely agree. In the maven repo, dumping all the
> artifacts in the o.a.g.server directory would be very confusing.

WAIT!   We most certainly are not going to be dumping all artifacts
into one groupId... so lets just stop that talk here... that does not
make sence, will not happen.

> Removing the geronimo- qualifier in front of the modules makes it
> even more confusing.

This is what I just don't get... how is this confusing?  We all know
these are artifacts from org.apache.geronimo.* based on the
groupId... why then do we need to prefix the artifact with more?  For
the most part these artifacts all live in a repo, so the groupId is
clear.  A few live in lib/* though there aren't any name conflicts
there... and even if there were its easy enough to get the assembly
plugin to make them use specific names if needed.

> Now, if you want to restructure everything based on features, that is
> a different gameplan all together. We can discuss that.

Yes, that is ultimately the point... but somehow this thread has
gotten way off track.  This thread was about the groupId of the maven
plugins... and about the base groupId of the server and if/how it
should be changed soon.  Restructuring is not anything that will
happen soon, though folks should start to think about it more...
cause it is on the horizon.

--jason

Re: What is a plugin? geronimo or maven?

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
On 3/20/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't think we've been specific enough about what goes where for
> jason's proposal to make sense yet, as gianni points out.
>
> I'm sure we don't want all 100K artifacts we produce all under o.a.g
> or o.a.g.server

I mostly definitely agree. In the maven repo, dumping all the
artifacts in the o.a.g.server directory would be very confusing.
Removing the geronimo- qualifier in front of the modules makes it even
more confusing.

Now, if you want to restructure everything based on features, that is
a different gameplan all together. We can discuss that.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 20, 2007, at 6:53 AM, Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:
>> I'm sure we don't want all 100K artifacts we produce all under o.a.g
>>
>> or o.a.g.server
>
>    I do not see why testsupport/* should clutter the directory that
> will contain modules and configs. We could have testsupport/* as:
> o.a.g.testsupport or o.a.g.server.testsupport.

Sure, we could use separate groupIds for every set of modules... just
a matter of making that choice and being consistent with it.  I'm
just worried about the stupid long pathname, as we add new groupIds.

I personally like the groupIds to be different for groups of modules
(at least for the first level grouping).  This gives them their own
namespace, and allows the repo structure to closer resemble the src
tree's structure.

>> the artifact ends up in modules or configs, and whether it starts
>> with "geronimo-" or ends with .car.
>
>     The "geronimo-" part is helpful. Since .car is part of artifact
> name and not the artifactId, it is not helpful (see below) in
> identifying a car in the directory containing modules and configs.
>
> Thanks
> Anita
>
> current o/a/g/configs directory:
> activemq
> activemq-broker
> axis
> axis-deployer
> axis2
> axis2-deployer
> ca-helper-jetty

I would rather suffix the car's with something, rather than prefix
all non-cars with "geronimo-".

--jason

Re: What is a plugin? geronimo or maven?

Posted by Anita Kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
--- David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't think we've been specific enough about what goes where for
> jason's proposal to make sense yet, as gianni points out.
>
> I'm sure we don't want all 100K artifacts we produce all under o.a.g
>
> or o.a.g.server

   I do not see why testsupport/* should clutter the directory that
will contain modules and configs. We could have testsupport/* as:
o.a.g.testsupport or o.a.g.server.testsupport.

> I was assuming that o.a.g.server would basically have the kernel and
>
> system stuff in it and little else -- maybe some basic naming
> support.
>
> then e.g. o.a.g.connector would have connector, transaction, jpa,
> connector-builder, persistence builder in it with the appropriate
> configs as well
>
> etc.
>
> That way no group would be too large to understand at once.   However
>
> I think it might still be good to have some easy way to distinguish
> the code subprojects from the car/module subprojects and I'm not sure
>
> how to do that well yet.  Right now there are 2 indications: whether
>
> the artifact ends up in modules or configs, and whether it starts
> with "geronimo-" or ends with .car.

    The "geronimo-" part is helpful. Since .car is part of artifact
name and not the artifactId, it is not helpful (see below) in
identifying a car in the directory containing modules and configs.

Thanks
Anita

current o/a/g/configs directory:
activemq
activemq-broker
axis
axis-deployer
axis2
axis2-deployer
ca-helper-jetty

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Mar 20, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:
>
> > On 20/03/2007, at 6:15 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:
> >
> >> On Mar 19, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

Re: What is a plugin? geronimo or maven?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 20, 2007, at 5:39 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:
>>> Also, I believe that losing the "geronimo-" prefixes contributes
>>> to the potential confusion.
>>
>> How exactly?
> Let's illustrate:
>
> When we loose the modules part and keep the geronimo- prefix in the
> artifactId, a maven repo looks like this from the dir org/apache/
> geronimo/server:
> geronimo-activation
> geronimo-activemq-gbean
> geronimo-activemq-gbean-management
> <more geronimo- stuff>
> apps
> <more geronimo- stuff>
> assemblies
> <more geronimo- stuff>
> configs
> <more geronimo- stuff and you get the idea>
>
> Intuitively, I classify the folders starting with geronimo- into
> the same category and apps, assemblies et cetera stand out.
>
> Now, we also loose the geronimo- prefix and we have:
> activation
> activemq-gbean
> activemq-gbean-management
> <more stuff>
> apps
> <more stuff>
> assemblies
> <more stuff>
> configs
> <more stuff and you get the idea>
>
> This is confusing as apps, assemblies et cetera are lost within a
> list of other directories.

I don't believe that folks who are used to m2 repos are going to get
confused... this is how m2 works.  I would rather have each set of
related modules use their own groupId, like for AMQ
org.apache.geronimo.activemq, but I fear if we start doing that then
we are going to run our selves into the ground with long path name
problems :-(  Or maybe we should rebel and go back to using geronimo
as the root groupId... hrm... that would ruffle some feathers :-P

>> Yes, the point is to eventually drop the "modules/*".  I sent mail
>> about this months ago, we are in line for a significant
>> restructuring of the project tree to group related mvn modules to
>> simplify the build as well as organize modules into smaller
>> workable chunks.
> I know as I read it :). The point I am trying to make is: if
> modules/ is dropped, then new developers will have a hard time to
> understand the folder organization for reasons very similar to the
> above maven repo example.

I don't follow how organizing modules into related groups is going to
make it hard for folks to follow.  "Where are all the activemq
modules?  they are in the activemq/* directory.".  IMO its more
cumbersome/difficult now for new folks to understand, since part of
things for a feature are in modules/* and part are in configs/* with
a whole lot of other stuff in between to confuse the heck out of
you.  Not that it confused me... but if you are talking about getting
new folks up to speed, then having smaller groups of modules which
are *all* related makes *much* more sense than what we have now.

>> Ya, that is one of the main reasons to reorganize.  Now that our
>> build tool supports this sort of grouping and can handle resolving
>> dependencies on a set of modules in an arbitrary tree.  This would
>> have been very difficult to setup/main w/m1... which is why
>> everything was dumped into a relatively flat structure.   This
>> structure is more of a burden to us now that anything else.  And
>> it should be changed so simplify the build and to help speed up
>> partial builds.
> How does m2 handle the resolution of dependencies on an arbitrary
> tree? Is it as simple as: mvn <build these modules:please also
> build afferent dependencies>?

M2 handles this via the <modules>... definitions in poms.  You can
setup an arbitrary tree by configuring the poms list of its child
modules.

>> I think if folks want to use a script to build specifics that is
>> up to them.  I don't recommend nor want to see a ton of build
>> scripts checked into svn though.  IMO most of these problems can
>> be fixed by simply reorganizing the tree and issuing a mvn cmd.
>> But, right now you have to issue a ton of very specific mvn
>> commands to build related components/configs/assemblies.
> I think the same result can be delivered w/o any reorganizing with
> the magic mvn <build these modules:please also build afferent
> dependencies> command.

<sarcasm>
Magic mvn command?  Are you serious?  Has Disney taken over the Maven
project?  Is Mickey Mouse going to hold my hand while I run the
magically mvn command?
</sarcasm>

But seriously, there is no _magic_ mvn command... and IMO trying to
create one will *only* complicate things more.

> E.g., I am in the server/trunk folder and do:
> mvn <magic command like partial-build> modules/jetty6
>
> mvn does a first pass to load the dependency graph for the overall
> tree; identify the afferent artifacts of modules/jetty6; and build
> modules/jetty6 and all of its afferent artifacts.
>
> It seems to me that a single script can do all the above w/o too
> much maven magic required. Obviously, everything happens outside of
> maven; yet it is simple to implement and more people can maintain
> and contribute.

Do you remember everyone bitching about the bootstrap command?  And
the mess about getting it to work on win32 and unix... and how folks
still wanted to use mvn...

  * * *

modules/*, configs/*, applications/* and probably even assemblies/*
to some degree... are relics of the m1 build.  m2 is a different
beast which has more features for organization of a multi-module
build.  To best suite our build needs and to support our growing
project (which the codebase seems to keep getting larger) we really
need to reorganize the structure.

--jason

Re: What is a plugin? geronimo or maven?

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 19, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:
>> And perhaps change the 'applications' groupId to simply 'apps'...
>> anyways, we'd end up with ids like:
>>
>>     testsupport/* 		org.apache.geronimo.server
>>     modules/* 			org.apache.geronimo.server
> To some extent, I would prefer to keep the "modules" part in the
> groupId as it provides a better namespacing. For instance, from the
> org/apache/geronimo directory of a m2 repo, it is easy to see the
> grouping as configs, applications etc are not lost within a list of
> other directories.

As we reorganize the tree the "modules/" directory will be going
away.  This is an artifact of the layout setup to facilitate the m1
build, this is not needed nor recommended in an m2 build.

So... I don't see why we would want to keep
"org.apache.geronimo.server.modules" around... and IMO "modules" is
even more confusing here, as in mvn tearms everything is a module,
and in G terms the stuff from "configs/*" are what we call modules.

I think this groupId should just go away.

> Also, I believe that losing the "geronimo-" prefixes contributes to
> the potential confusion.

How exactly?

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
On 19/03/2007, at 9:11 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> We may want to take this time to fix a few other groupId thingys
> too...
>
> We should change the base server/trunk groupId to:
>
>     org.apache.geronimo.server
+1

> And perhaps change the 'applications' groupId to simply 'apps'...
> anyways, we'd end up with ids like:
>
>     testsupport/* 		org.apache.geronimo.server
>     modules/* 			org.apache.geronimo.server
To some extent, I would prefer to keep the "modules" part in the
groupId as it provides a better namespacing. For instance, from the
org/apache/geronimo directory of a m2 repo, it is easy to see the
grouping as configs, applications etc are not lost within a list of
other directories. Also, I believe that losing the "geronimo-"
prefixes contributes to the potential confusion.

>     configs/* 			org.apache.geronimo.server.configs
>     applications/* 		org.apache.geronimo.server.apps
>     maven-plugins/*	org.apache.geronimo.server.mavenplugins
>     assemblies/* 		org.apache.geronimo.server.assemblies
>     testsuite/*			org.apache.geronimo.server.testsuite
>
> If we want to use "org.apache.geronimo.server.maven" for our
> plugins, then I suggest we rename "maven-plugins/*" to "maven/*" to
> keep things consistent. And actually I would do the same for
> "applications/*", rename it to "apps/*".
If modules/* have the groupId org.apache.geronimo.server, then I
assume that you also would like to drop the modules/ directory for
the same reason than above. It seems that this would be confusing to
new developers.

> I also think that we should still re-organize modules/* configs/*
> into groups based on the features they provide (like all activemq,
> jetty, tomcat, etc) and I would put the configuration modules in
> the same group dirs.  For an example of that peep at the structure
> of the g1.1-activemq4  stuff I just added:
>
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/g1.1-activemq4/
>
> This is how I would recommend we eventually get our modules
> organized... into directories which contain all of the modules (and
> config modules) for a particular integration.  This makes it much
> easier to work on a specific feature... can simply `cd <feature>;
> mvn` to build those modules.
One of my main pain point is that a full build takes ~25 minutes on
my box, allegedly fast. Moving to this directory structure does help.
On top of that, it would be awesome to be able to patch a geronimo
installation assumed to be at a given location (may be configured as
a property in setting.xml)  after having build a feature. For
instance, this is a hack I use from configs/ to build and install
cars in the geronimo installation I am working against:

#!/bin/sh

for path
do
   pushd $path
   mvn -o clean install
   cp target/*.car ../../assemblies/geronimo-jetty6-jee5/target/
geronimo-jetty6-jee5-2.0-SNAPSHOT/repository/org/apache/geronimo/
configs/$path/*/*/
   pushd ../../assemblies/geronimo-jetty6-jee5/target/geronimo-jetty6-
jee5-2.0-SNAPSHOT/repository/org/apache/geronimo/configs/$path/*/*/
   jar -xf *.car
   rm *.car
   popd
   popd
done

and I do something like:
./buildConfigs.sh jsr88-ear-configurer/ jsr88-rar-configurer/ jsr88-
war-configurer/ jsr88-jar-configurer/

I have a similar script in modules.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to change. either one is ok.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I agree.

Joe

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
+1

Thanks,
Gianny

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
This has always been confusing to me too.  I like your suggestion.  +1

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Anita Kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
--- David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It looks to me as if we are well on our way to use the groupId of
> org.apache.geronimo.plugins for both maven plugins and geronimo
> plugins.  This might not be the wisest thing we ever did.
>
> What if we changed the maven plugins to use
> org.apache.geronimo.maven?

   I like o.a.g.mavenplugins suggested by Jason D.

Aside from massive backwards
> compatibility problems :-)

   The sooner we fix the, the better.

Thanks