Posted to user@abdera.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/10 18:15:51 UTC

Abdera feedback

Hey Abdera-users, as we're getting started on the 0.4.0 development
stream... I was wondering if y'all would be willing to share your
top-ten list of complaints.

- James

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by Takasho <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

My feedback on the abdera project would be:

I would like to see comments in the source code :). That would help me debug
the bits where I get stuck.

I would also like to see working examples with full comments and
walk-throughs to explain the process. Such as simple client for consuming
feeds, full working simple server implementations for
spring/servlets/possibly RESTlets and using and parsing custom namespaces.

Finally i'd would also like to see integrations with JCR, db40 etc.

Keep up the good work and congratulations on getting Atompub approved. That
one step alone will remove any barriers for adopting abdera.

Takasho.

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by Kiran Subbaraman <ki...@yahoo.com>.
1. Improved documentation
2. Easier mechanism to deploy an APP server, and try out the APP examples
Kiran

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by Chris Berry <ch...@gmail.com>.
Jim has hit the nail on the head;

My primary wishlist, in order;
   *) Graduate from the Incubator
   *) Finalize the client-facing API
   *) Focus of "hardening" the software
   *) Improve docs and examples
   *) Cut a 1.0 release

We are going to Production, as I write this, with an Abdera-based
"Atom Store", so I'd love to see Abdera graduate, and appear to the
rest of the world as we in the community know it.  Abdera is
definitely the best-of-breed.  It is quite impressive, especially at
such a young age.

James et al, thank you so very much for all your hard work.
It is truly appreciated.

Cheers,
-- Chris

On Oct 16, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Jim Ancona wrote:

> James M Snell wrote:
>> Hey Abdera-users, as we're getting started on the 0.4.0 development
>> stream... I was wondering if y'all would be willing to share your
>> top-ten list of complaints.
>
> No complaints here, I find Abdera pretty impressive. I'd like to
> consider using it for an upcoming project, but it might be a tough
> sell at release 0.3 in the incubator. So my priority would be to
> get to a stable 1.0 release (and graduation from incubation). I
> would favor:
>
> - Refactor APIs, where necessary, then stabilize them
> - Improve documentation (including, or maybe especially, Javadoc)
> - Publish more examples
> - Test and resolve issues
>
> I'd prefer that added functionality (e.g. persistence) be in
> extensions that come after a stable release 1.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
>
> Jim

S'all good  ---   chriswberry at gmail dot com

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by Terris Linenbach <te...@markmonitor.com>.
+1

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by Jim Ancona <ji...@anconafamily.com>.

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by Rob Evans <ob...@gmail.com>.
This may not align with the charter of this project and it's certainly
not a complaint but...

I'd like to see a functional durable persistence provider or two --
maybe using jackrabbit, db40, or a rdbm.

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
We have yet to completely sketch out the long term plan for Abdera, but
what I would like to see is Abdera become a top level project the
envelopes a number of related efforts.  The core Abdera parser would be
one project; the Atom protocol impl would become another.  With such an
approach, it would make a lot of sense to have a number of provider
impls being developed under the Apache Abdera banner.

- James

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by Rob Evans <ob...@gmail.com>.

Re: Abdera feedback

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Dan Diephouse wrote:
> [snip]
>     * Ability to not have to have tighter integration between the
>       provider and the resolver so as to eliminate redundant
>       information. Ideally there would be some type of structure and
>       both the target/resolver would both know about it.

I'm not quite sure I understand this.