Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Erik-Lân Do Dinh <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/04 17:10:28 UTC

RAT maven plugin: exclude not working

Hello devs,

since I didn’t find a user mailing list, I’m trying this one – apologies if
this is the wrong place.

I have problems excluding files from the license header check. As an example
I set up a new maven project. The only files included are the pom and
file_which_should_be_excluded.txt file with dummy content.
The pom looks like this:
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>org.example</groupId>
    <artifactId>rat-test</artifactId>
    <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.apache.rat</groupId>
                <artifactId>apache-rat-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>0.10-SNAPSHOT</version>
                <configuration>
                    <excludes>
                        <exclude>file_which_should_be_excluded.txt</exclude>
                        <exclude>*.txt</exclude>
                        <exclude>pom.xml</exclude>
                    </excludes>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>
</project>

To my understanding, there are no files left to check, but mvn rat:check
fails with:
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.codehaus.mojo:rat-maven-plugin:1.0-alpha-3:check (default-cli) on
project rat-test: Too many unapproved licenses: 0 -> [Help 1]

The whole rat.txt is at http://pastebin.com/Gy44dGgC, I think the relevant
part is:
Summary
-------
Notes: 0
Binaries: 0
Archives: 0
Standards: 2

Apache Licensed: 0
Generated Documents: 0

JavaDocs are generated and so license header is optional
Generated files do not required license headers

2 Unknown Licenses

*******************************

Why is it 2 Unknown Licenses? Shouldn't that be 0 because I specifically
excluded the 2 files? Or did I understand something wrong about the
exclusion?

Cheers,
Erik-Lân Do Dinh

Re: RAT maven plugin: exclude not working

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 05/04/13 16:10, Erik-Lân Do Dinh wrote:
> Hello devs,

Hi Erik

> since I didn’t find a user mailing list, I’m trying this one – apologies
> if this is the wrong place.

We don't have a user list, so this is definitely the right place :-)

> I have problems excluding files from the license header check. As an
> example I set up a new maven project. The only files included are the
> pom and file_which_should_be_excluded.txt file with dummy content.
> The pom looks like this:
>     xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
> http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
>     <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>     <groupId>org.example</groupId>
>     <artifactId>rat-test</artifactId>
>     <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>     <build>
>         <plugins>
>             <plugin>
>                 <groupId>org.apache.rat</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>apache-rat-plugin</artifactId>
>                 <version>0.10-SNAPSHOT</version>
>                 <configuration>
>                     <excludes>
>
> <exclude>file_which_should_be_excluded.txt</exclude>
>                         <exclude>*.txt</exclude>
>                         <exclude>pom.xml</exclude>
>                     </excludes>
>                 </configuration>
>             </plugin>
>         </plugins>
>     </build>
> </project>
>
> To my understanding, there are no files left to check, but mvn rat:check
> fails with:
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.codehaus.mojo:rat-maven-plugin:1.0-alpha-3:check (default-cli) on
> project rat-test: Too many unapproved licenses: 0 -> [Help 1]
>
> The whole rat.txt is at http://pastebin.com/Gy44dGgC, I think the
> relevant part is:
> Summary
> -------
> Notes: 0
> Binaries: 0
> Archives: 0
> Standards: 2
>
> Apache Licensed: 0
> Generated Documents: 0
>
> JavaDocs are generated and so license header is optional
> Generated files do not required license headers
>
> 2 Unknown Licenses
>
> *******************************
>
> Why is it 2 Unknown Licenses? Shouldn't that be 0 because I specifically
> excluded the 2 files? Or did I understand something wrong about the
> exclusion?

I'm not sure, but if you are willing to contribute your test code to
Apache and open a JIRA, I'll add an integration test based on this code
and investigate the issue.

Robert

Re: RAT maven plugin: exclude not working

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 05/08/13 17:25, Erik-Lân Do Dinh wrote:
> Hi Robert and Phil,

Hi Erik

> thank you for your responses.

And thanks for your post - feedback from users is essential

> There won't be any JIRA issue because I found out the error's on my side ;)
> I ran maven from eclipse directly with goal rat:check instead of e.g.
> verify; that's why it wasn't picking up any configuration options I
> specified.

I wonder whether improving the logging in this area would be worthwhile...

> Now I've bound rat:check to the verify phase and it uses the exclusions
> I specified.

I'm considering about writing this up in the FAQ...

Opinions...?

Robert

Re: RAT maven plugin: exclude not working

Re: RAT maven plugin: exclude not working

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@aiki-it.de>.
Hi Erik,

Am 04.05.2013 17:10, schrieb Erik-Lân Do Dinh:
>                    <excludes>
>                        <exclude>file_which_should_be_excluded.txt</exclude>
>                        <exclude>*.txt</exclude>
>                        <exclude>pom.xml</exclude>
>                    </excludes>

I don't know your exact file system structure, but maybe you need to
have a different exclusion:
<exclude>**/*.txt</exclude>

How does your project look like? Is it somewhere on github/googlecode to
take a look at?

Yours
Phil