Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by "MARTINEZ, ARIEL" <AM...@hostos.cuny.edu> on 2020/09/25 23:12:34 UTC

[EXTERNAL] Re: Showing users only available connections

Right, should have mentioned 1.2.0 and RDP. I do get that message but only when clicking on a connection that is already in use. But before that, there doesn't seem to be an indicator that it is in use.

Thanks

On Sep 25, 2020 6:57 PM, ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
WARNING: This email originated outside the Hostos campus. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Never provide login credentials, financial or sensitive details in response to an email or by clicking on a link. Report suspicious emails to: reportspam@hostos.cuny.edu

I'm not certain I have your use-case correct but with Guacamole 1.2.0 if you set multiple connections for a single user, it will show you which of those connections is in use at first login. I've just tested that now [RDP connections] and get the message "Currently in use by 1 user" for connections that would not be available.

This assumes that a user first logs into the Guacamole GUI, then clicks further on one of a list of possible connections to continue on (ie. it's not set with user/passw etc to automatically connect to a machine).

On 26/09/2020 8:32 a.m., MARTINEZ, ARIEL wrote:
Is it possible to only show users available connections? We are setting up a lab where each computer will allow only one connection but when another user logs in, they still see all connections. Is there a way to limit the view or at least show which are currently in use so that it doesn�t become a trial and error type situation to find an available connection?
�

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Showing users only available connections

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 12:10 AM ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.invalid>
wrote:

> In order to check this out I created a test user (with no additional
> privileges) and assigned 4 connections to that user - two of which were in
> use at that time, and two free.
>
> Upon initial login the list of possible connections was displayed on the
> left of the screen, on the same line as each possible connection, but
> rightmost, is displayed the message "Currently in use..." - if the
> connection is in use - otherwise it's blank and the user may connect.
>
> Each possible connections is setup with default settings for almost
> everything except the IP/port numbers, 'ignore server cert', and a little
> detail around display parameters (eg font smoothing). I do not specifically
> set max connections etc.
>
> It may be that there's something in your setup that differs from this, and
> might be producing the result you see. You could, initially, try
> experimenting with something similar to the way my test was set up first in
> order to see if you can reproduce the same result?
>
> Just to give you more detail, this system is based on Ubuntu 18.04, MySQL
> 5.7.3, Tomcat 8.5.39 all contained within a single VM, the browser in use
> was Waterfox 2020.07.

It is worth noting, here, that active connection tracking is only currently
implemented in the JDBC module.  So, Ariel, if you are using some other
module to store connections (LDAP, user-mapping.xml, etc.), you may not see
the "Currently in use..." that Luke is talking about, here.  If you need
that functionality you should switch to the JDBC module.

-Nick

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Showing users only available connections

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.