Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Robert Handschmann <rh...@yahoo.de> on 2006/04/21 18:23:52 UTC

links not working when ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT is false

Hi!
I have to switch off javascript to keep pages as small as possible. (For a page with lots of table cells with links this makes a big difference.)
But when I set org.apache.myfaces.ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT to false in web.xml, some links are not working anymore.
I have a t:dataTable with a t:commandSortHeader. When I click on a column, the page reloads, but no sorting takes place. The same page is working when javascript is allowed.
The same for t:dataScroller.

Is this a general restriction of MyFaces or a bug?

I tried with myfaces-1.1.1 and with myfaces-core-1.1.2 together with tomahawk-1.1.2-SNAPSHOT. Both versions show the same behaviour.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Robert

Re: AW: links not working when ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT is false

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Robert!
> I do not want to omit javascript entirely, but I saw that I can reduce the size of the rendered html document significantly. I need that for only a singe page!

I already started to shrink the size of the generated javascript, but
the patch didnt fit any more so I have to start over again :-(

What I would like to say is, that - once I find time again - the size
will be reduced, though, I dont know how much in the end.

Ciao,
Mario

AW: AW: links not working when ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT is false

Posted by Robert Handschmann <rh...@yahoo.de>.
What I want to add is that I thought MyFaces overcomes the general JSF restriction by using url parameters as one can see in the following comment:

<context-param>
        <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT</param-name>
        <param-value>true</param-value>
        <description>
            This parameter tells MyFaces if javascript code should be allowed in the rendered HTML
            output. If javascript is allowed, command_link anchors will have javascript code that
            submits the corresponding form. If javascript is not allowed, the state saving info and
            nested parameters will be added as url parameters. Default: "true"
        </description>
    </context-param>

So, when some links are working and some are not, isn't it a bug?

Greetings,
Robert

I do not want to omit javascript entirely, but I saw that I can reduce the size of the rendered html document significantly. I need that for only a singe page!
Is it possible to turn off javascript for one page only, or is there another trick I can use? (Of course beside telling the customer to change requirements ;-)

I tried to implement this page with JSTL, but could not figure out how to call JSF action methods from links.

Thanks,
Robert

> I have to switch off javascript to keep pages as small as possible. (For a page with lots of table cells with links this makes a big difference.)
> But when I set org.apache.myfaces.ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT to false in web.xml, some links are not working anymore.
> I have a t:dataTable with a t:commandSortHeader. When I click on a column, the page reloads, but no sorting takes place. The same page is working when javascript is allowed.
> The same for t:dataScroller.
>
> Is this a general restriction of MyFaces or a bug?

A general JSF restriction, once a component has to rely on a command
link or a command link is set for form handling you only can trigger
the form submit via javascript then :-(

All I can say is if you have to omit javascript entirely, you will have
a hard time with jsf, especially if you need advanced components.

AW: links not working when ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT is false

Re: links not working when ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT is false

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Mike Kienenberger schrieb:
> On 4/21/06, Robert Handschmann <rh...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>> Is this a general restriction of MyFaces or a bug?
>
> It's a restriction of JSF's CommandLink.   The spec requires
> javascript for it to work.
> (Basically, clicking on a link has to submit a form -- this is
> accomplished with javascript).

Actually it is even more a limitation of html that you cannot really
do a form submit from a link without javascript, and command buttons
do not work on many old browsers.

Re: links not working when ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT is false

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.