Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org> on 2006/11/18 17:24:56 UTC

Generating and publishing the site

Hi all

I plan to start my documentation/site activities this week.
Unfortunately, I do not really know, where to start.

In order to get a first impression where we stand, I did what is told to
me in file

trunks/site/site.readme.txt

I was able to build the site and deploy it to minotaur.apache.org. This
holds true for the top level content (http://directory.apache.org/). Can
someone give a hint how to generate and publish the site for subprojects
(especially apacheds)?

Thanks in advance,
     Stefan

---8<---

Stefan Zoerner (szoerner@apache.org)
Apache Directory Project
Committer :: PMC Member

Re: Generating and publishing the site

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 11/18/06, Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org> wrote:

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> > Stefan,
> >
> > I have moved your tutorial into cwiki.
>
> Thanks, Emmanuel. I have seen this, when I started my investigations
> this morning. There is a lot of work to do. Do we already have a
> technical solution on how to publish information from the wiki to the
> site?

sorry, nope... Ask Ersin, I think he knows :)

> Christine is also working on the tutorial and doco, may be you can
> > coordinate your efforts ( sie spricht deutsch ), and she submitted her
> > CLA this week, so we will give her some karma on cwiki.
>

> This is great! Any help is appreciated here. Is she another student of
> yours?

Nope... But she is a student, Alex told me.

For my current work, I have to improve my skills in describing
> architectures in UML 2.0. I plan to create some diagrams for ApacheDS as
> an exercise; we do not have much documentation here as well. Hopefully
> Alex will have the time to review them.

That would be great ! And there is so much to do :)

Greetings,

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: Generating and publishing the site

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 11/18/06, Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Ersin Er wrote:
> >
> > BTW, this is all side information :-) The important thing is the Content.
> >

> Hi Ersin!

Hi!

> I am confident that we will have more content in the near future. I had
> a short conversation with Christine about the documentation.

Cool.

> One question arised: If the documentation will exclusively be created at
> the cwiki in the near future, and only committers have write access to
> it, how about volunteers, who would like to contribute the content, or
> translate it to other languages?

We will still have the MoinMoin wiki for people to contribute as they
want. But as we will bundle the documentation on the cwiki to the
distribution, all of it has to be written by people who are committers
or who have signed a CLA. (As you know Christine has done so too.)

> Greetings, Stefan

Cheers,

--
Ersin

Re: Generating and publishing the site

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin

Re: Generating and publishing the site

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 11/18/06, Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> > Stefan,
> >
> > I have moved your tutorial into cwiki.
>
> Thanks, Emmanuel. I have seen this, when I started my investigations
> this morning. There is a lot of work to do. Do we already have a
> technical solution on how to publish information from the wiki to the site?

First of all, we do not want to use maven for document and site
generation anymore.

And, using the wiki, we can at least do what MINA has done:

http://mina.apache.org/

Trustin has used the MINA confluence space and a Apache httpd
url-rewriting solution to deploy this site.

But it is perfectly possible to change the generated sites look using
a velocity template. Confluence spaces are exported via the AutoExport
plugin and it uses a velocity template per space to form the final
view. The default view, which MINA and other directory spaces have
now, uses the default velocity template. The velocity template is
based on the API provided by the plugin and Confluence runtime.

I have pasted the default template here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxPMGT/confluence-based-web-site-management.html

I would like to share more. I will try document this stuff at the
Confluence space.

--
Ersin

Re: Generating and publishing the site

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Stefan,

I have moved your tutorial into cwiki.

Christine is also working on the tutorial and doco, may be you can
coordinate your efforts ( sie spricht deutsch ), and she submitted her CLA
this week, so we will give her some karma on cwiki.

Emmanuel

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: Generating and publishing the site

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Yeah - Good point.

I think maintainj was open source initially...but I
just looked an it's not now.

The other two (Green and Topcased) are EPL, so they
should be pretty safe to use.

--- Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/18/06, Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Ole Ersoy wrote:
> > > Hey Stefan,
> > >
> > > Saw you were going to do some UMLing.
> > >

> > I plan to document the architecture on a high
> level of abstraction,
> > starting with composite structure and deployment
> diagrams. Find attached
> > the most simple decomposition of our server :-)
> Currently I use
> > Enterprise Architect (Sparx), because we have it
> in our project.
>

> Just be sure that the exported pictures are free of
> IP. Sometimes, there are
> some watermark or hidden trademarks inside them. I
> personnly used Poseidon
> UML community edition, out of which I extracted some
> pictures, in png
> format, of course :)
>
> Eventually, it could be interesting to ask
> legal@apache.org about using a
> tool to draw UML schemas.
>
> Emmanuel
>
> --
> Cordialement,
> Emmanuel Lécharny

The all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Generating and publishing the site

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.
Ole Ersoy wrote:
> Hey Stefan,
>
> Saw you were going to do some UMLing.

I plan to document the architecture on a high level of abstraction,
starting with composite structure and deployment diagrams. Find attached
the most simple decomposition of our server :-) Currently I use
Enterprise Architect (Sparx), because we have it in our project. If we
plan to do more than just overview pictures, we will probably need to
select a tool.

> There's some pretty cool eclipse plugins out there.
>
> This one for example (University of Buffalo project):
> http://green.sourceforge.net/
>
> And this one:
> http://www.maintainj.com/
>
> There's a nice flash demo for that one.
>
> And of coarse:
> http://topcased-mm.gforge.enseeiht.fr/modeling/uml/index.php
>
> Which looks really sweet (Start Trek Bridge) and it's
> EPL!

Thanks for the links. I'll start a page at ASF confluence and drop my
first attempts there ...

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Stefan,

Saw you were going to do some UMLing.

There's some pretty cool eclipse plugins out there.

This one for example (University of Buffalo project):
http://green.sourceforge.net/

And this one:
http://www.maintainj.com/

There's a nice flash demo for that one.

And of coarse:
http://topcased-mm.gforge.enseeiht.fr/modeling/uml/index.php

Which looks really sweet (Start Trek Bridge) and it's
EPL!

Cheers,
- Ole

--- Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org> wrote:

> Ersin Er wrote:
> >
> > In fact, we plan to implement the site using
> directory confluence spaces.
> >
> This sounds interesting. The current site is
> suboptimal.
> I am very interested to support this effort. I'll
> live in hotel rooms
> the next three weeks, and can spent some time on
> this ...
> >
> > I would like to discuss this more at directory
> developers' channel.
> >
> I'll try to meet you via IRC.
>
> Stefan
>
> ---8<---
>
> Stefan Zoerner (szoerner@apache.org)
> Apache Directory Project
> Committer :: PMC Member

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.
Get up to 5 free quotes.
Www2.nextag.com

Re: Generating and publishing the site

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 11/18/06, Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all

Hi,

> I plan to start my documentation/site activities this week.
> Unfortunately, I do not really know, where to start.

In fact, we plan to implement the site using directory confluence spaces.

> In order to get a first impression where we stand, I did what is told to
> me in file
>
> trunks/site/site.readme.txt
>
> I was able to build the site and deploy it to minotaur.apache.org. This
> holds true for the top level content (http://directory.apache.org/). Can
> someone give a hint how to generate and publish the site for subprojects
> (especially apacheds)?

We have only one more subproject which has a site code to be processed:

trunks/apacheds/site.readme.txt

--
Ersin