Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Elid OR <or...@fimasys.fr> on 2007/03/02 09:14:10 UTC

[m2] How to specify the next version of a project when releasing (in batch mode) ?

Hi all,

Here my problem, I would like to specify the next version of my project when I
release with the maven 2 release plugin in batch mode (in a continuous
integration process) because it does not handle my incrementation convention.
In fact It can not parse the version number for incrementing because it
starts with a letter.

Is there a way to specify the next version number of a release when using
batch mode ? Something like "mvn
release:prepare -Dmaven.next.version=my.next.version --batch-mode" ?

I did not find anything in the documentation.

Thanks

Elid

Re: [m2] How to specify the next version of a project when releasing (in batch mode) ?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Not looking to start an ideological war or anything, but can someone
perhaps point out a major project (or two) that uses versions which
start with a letter? Major being something with a few thousand
"customers" or something, and open source would be ideal but closed
source works so long as the changelog is freely available so I can see
their version changes for the last couple of months/years.

I've just never even considered this myself and I'm curious about the
perceived benefits etc of this versioning convention over what I'd
consider the more widely-used number based versioning ie 1.5.2
(major.minor.patch).

Or are your version numbers simply coming straight out of your SCM ie
Subversion with versions b23094? I'm genuinely curious.

Wayne

Posted by Elid OR <or...@fimasys.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Thierry Lach <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elid OR <or...@fimasys.fr>.
Indeed,

Indeed there are few projects that use a letter to start the version number,
but it's not my choice and I can't change that (immediatly). But it's true
that like Daniel said, even with a maven-style versionning convention there
are some cases where it could be a good thing to be able to specify the next
version to use for starting the new version of the project.

Regards,

Elid.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Wayne,

There are several cases where the --batch-mode auto stuff of maven doesn't
work in quite a "desirable" way so the aforementioned flag would be
GREATLY appreciated.

Examples:

1) 1.0-SNAPSHOT would be auto set to 1.1-SNAPSHOT, but many times we'd like
it to go to 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT

2) 2.0-incubating-RC1-SNAPSHOT seems to autoset to 2.1-something....

There are others.   For our internal projects, we've written some perl
scripts to 'cleanup' the pom versions once the release plugin is done
mangling them.  Would be nice not to have to do that.

Dan

On Friday 02 March 2007 11:18, Wayne Fay wrote:
> I don't know if I entirely agree with that.
>
> Maven is not just a tool to help you compile and build your Java
> projects -- it also "gently" enforces a collection of best practices
> for building Java projects. It seems like your "version starting with
> a letter" does not meet Maven's concept of "best practice in version
> naming", and so you're running into some troubles.
>
> In all likelihood, if that feature does not exist it is simply because
> no one has asked for it or the priority for the feature was low enough
> that it simply wasn't done yet.
>
> Personally, I would be pragmatic about this and just adopt the
> Maven-style versioning so that release would work properly. Or you
> could hack the release plugin code, add this functionality, and
> contribute it back via JIRA as an enhancement.
>
> Wayne
>
> On 3/2/07, Thierry Lach <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If it doesn't, it should.
> >
> > On 3/2/07, Elid OR <or...@fimasys.fr> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Here my problem, I would like to specify the next version of my
> > > project when I
> > > release with the maven 2 release plugin in batch mode (in a
> > > continuous integration process) because it does not handle my
> > > incrementation convention.
> > > In fact It can not parse the version number for incrementing because
> > > it starts with a letter.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to specify the next version number of a release when
> > > using batch mode ? Something like "mvn
> > > release:prepare -Dmaven.next.version=my.next.version --batch-mode" ?
> > >
> > > I did not find anything in the documentation.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Elid

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: [m2] How to specify the next version of a project when releasing (in batch mode) ?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thierry Lach <th...@gmail.com>.
If it doesn't, it should.