Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Monty Ree <ch...@hotmail.com> on 2005/05/18 09:05:13 UTC

against this spam mail...

Hello, all.

When I see maillog, I can see lots of logs like below..
Some spammer send spam mails from aaaa@xxxx.com to zzzz@xxxx.com, I guess.
So mail server load is high to accept this spam and reply with"User
unknown".

Is there any good way or solution against thess series spam?

Thanks in advance.

May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22487]: j4I6B4i22487: <ho...@xxxxx.com>...
User unknown
May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22490]: j4I6B4i22490: <da...@xxxxx.com>...
User unknown
May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22493]: j4I6B4i22493: <da...@xxxxx.com>...
User unknown
May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22494]: j4I6B4i22494: <ja...@xxxxx.com>...
User unknown
May 18 15:11:05 mail02 sendmail[22498]: j4I6B5i22498: <jo...@xxxxx.com>...
User unknown
May 18 15:11:05 mail02 sendmail[22515]: j4I6B5i22515: <to...@xxxxx.com>...
User unknown
May 18 15:11:05 mail02 sendmail[22516]: j4I6B5i22516: <jo...@xxxxx.com>...
User unknown
May 18 15:11:06 mail02 sendmail[22525]: j4I6B6i22525: <sa...@xxxxx.com>...
User unknown

증권 정보 가장 빠르고 편하게 보실 수 있습니다. MSN 증권/투자
http://www.msn.co.kr/stock/

Re: against this spam mail...

Posted by turgut kalfaoglu <tu...@egenet.com.tr>.
What I did against this , is first, have a virtusertable that lists all
your users, and at the end has something like

@mydomain.edu.tr    error: sorry no one by that name

(syntax may be off I am writing this from the top of my head)

so it rejects it outright before the mail has to go thru spamassassin, etc.

second thing I did: hack the sendmail source so that when
BadRcptThrottle is reached, it closes the connection instead.
Life has been peaceful since :)

-t

Re: against this spam mail...

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Wed, 18 May 2005, Jeff Chan wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 18, 2005, 12:05:13 AM, Monty Ree wrote:
> > Hello, all.
>
> > When I see maillog, I can see lots of logs like below..
> > Some spammer send spam mails from aaaa@xxxx.com to zzzz@xxxx.com, I guess.
> > So mail server load is high to accept this spam and reply with"User
> > unknown".
>
> > Is there any good way or solution against thess series spam?
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> > May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22487]: j4I6B4i22487: <ho...@xxxxx.com>...
> > User unknown
> > May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22490]: j4I6B4i22490: <da...@xxxxx.com>...
> > User unknown
> > May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22493]: j4I6B4i22493: <da...@xxxxx.com>...
> > User unknown
>
> This is called a "dictionary attack".  If you search for that and
> sendmail, you may find some answers.  It's not specifically a
> SpamAssassin question.

For sendmail, enable the "BadRcptThrottle" threshold. This feature
will cause sendmail to rate limit transactions once a specified number
of bad recipients have been seen.
sendmail will still have to tell the spammers "No No No" but at a slower
rate so they don't drive up your server load average.
(the default is 20, I've got mine set to 3 ;)

Combine this with ConnectionRateThrottle & MaxDaemonChildren to limit
the total simultaneous sessions to prevent your SpamAssassin from
being driven into meltdown by these kinds of attacks.

You can also add in dnsbl lists such as xbl.spamhaus.org to block
connections by infected PCs at the SMTP level.
Lots of this kind of trash is coming from 'bot nets' and can be
blocked by good dnsbl lists.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: against this spam mail...

Posted by Saurabh Barve <sa...@atmos.colostate.edu>.
Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 18, 2005, 12:05:13 AM, Monty Ree wrote:
>
>>Hello, all.
>

>>When I see maillog, I can see lots of logs like below..
>>Some spammer send spam mails from aaaa@xxxx.com to zzzz@xxxx.com, I guess.
>>So mail server load is high to accept this spam and reply with"User
>>unknown".
>

>>Is there any good way or solution against thess series spam?
>

>>Thanks in advance.
>

>>May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22487]: j4I6B4i22487: <ho...@xxxxx.com>...
>>User unknown
>>May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22490]: j4I6B4i22490: <da...@xxxxx.com>...
>>User unknown
>>May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22493]: j4I6B4i22493: <da...@xxxxx.com>...
>>User unknown
>>May 18 15:11:04 mail02 sendmail[22494]: j4I6B4i22494: <ja...@xxxxx.com>...
>>User unknown
>>May 18 15:11:05 mail02 sendmail[22498]: j4I6B5i22498: <jo...@xxxxx.com>...
>>User unknown
>>May 18 15:11:05 mail02 sendmail[22515]: j4I6B5i22515: <to...@xxxxx.com>...
>>User unknown
>>May 18 15:11:05 mail02 sendmail[22516]: j4I6B5i22516: <jo...@xxxxx.com>...
>>User unknown
>>May 18 15:11:06 mail02 sendmail[22525]: j4I6B6i22525: <sa...@xxxxx.com>...
>>User unknown
>

> This is called a "dictionary attack".  If you search for that and
> sendmail, you may find some answers.  It's not specifically a
> SpamAssassin question.
>
> Jeff C.

What I do for these kinds of e-mails is just block them at the sendmail
level. If you're using FC2 (paths on other OS's may vary), just add a
line like this in /etc/mail/access:

xxxxx.com			REJECT

This file is to allow relay access to domains. If you block out
xxxxx.com, these messages will be rejected at the sendmail level.

Saurabh.

"Yours is to work. The results will take care of themselves"
-- Swami Vivekanad

Saurabh Barve
sa@atmos.colostate.edu
(970)491-7714