Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Russell <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/09 19:01:41 UTC

How can I tell which version of OpenSSL is being used with tomcat?

If I installed tomcat on windows using the service installer, how can I
know which version of openssl was used?

Re: [OT] How can I tell which version of OpenSSL is being used with tomcat?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: How can I tell which version of OpenSSL is being used with tomcat?

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

> (...)
>
> Andrew, if you haven't changed the Tomcat default configuration and
> you used the service installer, you likely have a vulnerable server
> depending upon exactly which version you installed, because the
> installer automatically installs tcnative, and the default protocol in
> server.xml (HTTP/1.1) auto-prefers the APR connector to the BIO connector.

The default configuration is NOT vulnerable to HeartBleed. as the
HTTPS protocol is not enabled by default.  You need to generate or buy
a server certificate and configure it to enable HTTPS.

If you have configured HTTPS, then you should know what connector you
are using, because the configuration attributes differ,  as explained
below.

> To check if you are using APR, just check your <Connector>
> configuration. If you're specifying attributes like
> SSLCertificateKeyFile then you are using OpenSSL (and still should
> track-down the version). If you see attributes like "keystoreFile",
> then you are using JSSE and you are not vulnerable to this particular
> issue being discussed this week.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: How can I tell which version of OpenSSL is being used with tomcat?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Jeffrey,

On 4/9/14, 12:59 PM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Andrew Russell
>> [mailto:andrew.russell@gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014
>> 12:02 PM To: users@tomcat.apache.org Subject: How can I tell
>> which version of OpenSSL is being used with tomcat?
>>
>> If I installed tomcat on windows using the service installer, how
>> can I know which version of openssl was used?
> [Jeff Janner]
>
> Did you select the Native Libraries when you ran the installer? If
> so, you are most likely to be using OpenSSL for SSL services. How
> can you be sure? Do you have any <Connectors> set up to use SSL?
> Did you specify the protocol parameter when you created the
> connector?  If not, then the default is to use the APR library if
> the Native Libraries are available and the APR Lifecycle Listener
> is in your server.xml and the SSLEngine is set to "on". In other
> words, you'll need to review your server.xml and the tomcat
> documentation on configuring Tomcat to see if you are vulnerable.
>
> However, a perhaps easier way is to check your latest catalina.log
> file.  If it contains this line: INFO: OpenSSL successfully
> initialized (OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013) Then you are susceptible
> (any version 1.0.1 < 1.0.1g).

It's possible to be safe and still not have 1.0.1g. Debian, for
instance, has shipped a patch to 1.0.1e to fix this problem but it
does not have the feature changes of 1.0.1f and 1.0.1g. This is kind
of what Debian does. *shrug*

> Also, if you do have the native libraries in the bin directory,
> you can check its version by hovering over the tcnative-1.dll file
> and checking the value of File Version.  The latest is 1.1.29,
> which has the bug.  I'm not sure at which release the bug was
> introduced.

The Bugzilla bug says versions 1.1.24 - 1.1.29. I haven't personally
verified those version numbers.

Honestly, your best bet is to run one of the HB testers online if you
really have no idea what you're running. Of course, if you've patched
OpenSSL (or your package manager has updated and you've updated and
restarted Tomcat) then you'll never know if you *were* vulnerable.

Andrew, if you haven't changed the Tomcat default configuration and
you used the service installer, you likely have a vulnerable server
depending upon exactly which version you installed, because the
installer automatically installs tcnative, and the default protocol in
server.xml (HTTP/1.1) auto-prefers the APR connector to the BIO connector.

To check if you are using APR, just check your <Connector>
configuration. If you're specifying attributes like
SSLCertificateKeyFile then you are using OpenSSL (and still should
track-down the version). If you see attributes like "keystoreFile",
then you are using JSSE and you are not vulnerable to this particular
issue being discussed this week.

- -chris

RE: How can I tell which version of OpenSSL is being used with tomcat?

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Anyone?

Re: How can I tell which version of OpenSSL is being used with tomcat?

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.
On 4/9/14 10:17 AM, Andrew Russell wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response!
>
> It's a mixed bag, some are java keystores and some are pfx files.
>
> So I'm only using OpenSSL if it's marked as such in the configuration file?

All I know is JSSE, myself.

 From our own server.xml, running with security by JSSE, on an IBM
Midrange system (the names have been changed to protect the innocent):

--
JHHL

Re: How can I tell which version of OpenSSL is being used with tomcat?

Posted by Andrew Russell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.