Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/28 19:55:06 UTC

[TRIPLESEC]Re: Triplesec... storing permissions in ldap

On Dec 28, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> Right now triplesec is basically using strings as permissions, and
>> they
>> are stored as multi-valued attributes like so:
>>
>> objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.203 NAME 'policyRole'
>>     SUP top
>>     AUXILIARY
>>     MUST ( roleName )
>>     MAY  ( grants $ denials $ description ) )
>>
>> objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.204 NAME 'policyProfile'
>>     SUP top
>>     AUXILIARY
>>     MUST ( profileId $ user )
>>     MAY  ( grants $ denials $ roles $ userPassword $ description $
>> safehausDisabled ) )
>>

>> or as a bit of ldif:
>>
>> dn:
>> roleName=mockRole5,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,d
>> c=example,dc=com
>>
>> objectClass: top
>> objectClass: policyRole
>> grants: mockPerm9
>> grants: mockPerm7
>> grants: mockPerm5
>> grants: mockPerm4
>> denials: mockPerm6
>> roleName: mockRole5
>>
>> (this includes my local modification so roles can have denials).
>
> FYI now with denials in roles the set wise calculation of effective
> permissions will need to account for denials in roles.  This also
> brings
> about the issue of permission precedence since some denials may now
> clash with grants.  A policy around how this will be handled is
> needed.

I figure that in guardian both role and policy need a grant
Permissions and a deny Permissions.  For either one, a permission is
implied if the grant Permissions implies it AND the denies
Permissions doesn't imply it

grants.implies(p) && !denies.implies(p)

>> After looking around at java.security.Permissions I think we can
>> store
>> 99% of them with 3 strings:
>> className
>> permissionName
>> action
>
> I think we can create a special permission type (objectClass) called a
> javaPermission that adds the extra className and action attributes:
> permissionName is already present.  This new javaPermission basically
> extends the existing string permission objectClass.

I think it makes more sense to model the existing string permissions
as a kind of java permission and look for a good datamodel for java
permissions.

> [...]
>> schema do this?
>>
>> attributetype ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.3.abc
>>         NAME 'action'
>>         DESC 'action for a permission'
>>         EQUALITY caseExactMatch
>>         SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
>>         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )
>
> Ok defining an action attribute ... this looks ok minus the need for a
> good OID.  Also you might want the attribute to be actions
> (plaural) if
> it can be multivalued?
>
>> objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.abc NAME 'className'
>>     SUP top
>>     AUXILIARY
>>
>> objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.def NAME 'grant'
>>     SUP top
>>     AUXILIARY
>>     MAY  ( action )
>>
>> objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.ghi NAME 'deny'
>>     SUP top
>>     AUXILIARY
>>     MAY  ( action )
>
> Hmmm this is not a good idea.  I would design the grants and
> denials as
> attributes that can be included within the objectClass of a Role and a
> Profile.  These attributes should just associate a permission with the
> Role or Profile as would a foreign key into another table in RDBMS
> land.
>
> So let's say you define a ldap objectClass called javaPermission for
> your permission like so:
>
> objectclass ( TBD NAME 'javaPermission'
> 	SUP policyPermission
>         AUXILIARY
>         MUST ( className )
> 	MAY ( action )
>
>> I'm imagining a dn something like
>>
>> grant=/servlet/
>> *,permissionClass=javax.security.jacc.WebResourcePermission,roleName=
>> peon,applicationName=foo,....
>
> Hmmm I think you may have a slight missunderstanding on how to use
> a DN
> in designing the directory.  NP though I don't think we need to mess
> with the directory's hierarchy that much.  The organization we have
> will
> work.
>
>> with attributes like
>> action=POST,GET
>> action=INDEX
>
> Ok you need to make action into a multivalued attribute and perhaps
> call
> it actions but your whole view of how to organize the DIT needs some
> work.  Let's take it step by step.  For now our current structure is
> well formulated which in turn effects the DN used.  Just keep in mind
> the DN is merely like a primary key for looking stuff up.  So when you
> look up a permission the DN need not have all the aspects of the
> permission listed within it.
>
> If the permission name uniquely identifies the permission within a
> context of the system then we can simply keep that permission under a
> context and use the permission name as the relative name of the

Not entirely.

First of all, I don't think I explained one of my thoughts, which is
that keeping a list of all permissions used in an application doesn't
really have any value.  In general there's an infinite set of
possible permissions for an application and there's no practical way
to enumerate all of them.  To my eyes the only thing the permissions
are currently used for is to construct the admin role, and this is
not something that is generally useful: it certainly has no universal
definition in jacc or j2ee.  I would prefer to have some button on a
gui to collect all the permissions in defined roles and profiles and
add them to a particular role (or profile)

Assuming you agree with this, we will be storing permissions
associated with role and profile.  To construct a permission instance
we need:

permission class
permission name
permission action
grant/deny

In relational terms, these are all part of the primary key.  IIUC to
directly express this in ldap you get dns with something like a=foo
+b=bar+c=baz,ou=groupId,....... which I have not yet seen in practice
and looks confusing to me.  I thought it would be easier to deal with
if instead we treated it as several levels:

role or profile

permission class

[grant,deny]= permission name
with actions as a multivalued attribute for the permission name.

This results IIUC in the ldif to install a StringPermission with no
actions looking something like:

dn:
roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc=e
xample, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: policyRole
roleName: mockRole1

dn: permClassName=org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission,
roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc=e
xample, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: permClass
permClassName: org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission

dn: grant=mockPerm0,
permClassName=org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission,
roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc=e
xample, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: permGrant
grant: mockPerm0

It might be clearer to look at the schema and code to handle this in
guardian-ldap and admin-api in sandbox/triplesec-jacc.  It's entirely
possible I've missing something basic and there's a better way to
handle this.... but (obviously :-) I haven't seen it yet.

>> Some of my other questions are...  AUXILIARY or STRUCTURAL?
>
> AUXILIARY is best I would warn against using STRUCTURAL
> objectClasses in
> general but sometimes you have to.  Here I think we may need to use
> STRUCTURAL objectClasses for permissions when we really used
> AUXILIARY.
>  This is because an entry needs at least one STRUCTURAL
> objectClass.  An
> entry can have any number of AUXILIARY objectClasses.
>
> This would take too long to explain but here's the gist of it in a
> manner easily understood by Java programmers ...
>
> ObjectClasses are like Java classes and Interfaces.  Certain
> inheritance
> rules are similar.  AUXILIARY objectClasses are like interfaces, where
> an entry can actually have several AUXILIARY objectClasses in use for
> it.  STRUCTURAL objectClasses are like concrete classes where an entry
> can really have only one STRUCTURAL objectClass.  An entry must have a
> STRUCTURAL objectClass defined for it.
>
> An ABSTRACT objectClass is like an abstract Java class.  You cannot
> create an object from and ABSTRACT objectClass and hence you cannot
> have
> an entry with just an ABSTRACT objectClass.
>
>> What if anything ties the object classes together in a tree, so e.g.
>> grant and deny occur "inside" className?  Should there be MAY
>> ( grant $
>> deny) in the className objectclass?
>
> I think you are confusing a few concepts.  The structure of the
> tree is
> governed by other kinds of complex schema constructs like
> dITStructureRules and nameForms however we need not talk about these
> right now.
>
>> The actions and possibly the grant/deny are likely to have lots of
>> bizarre punctuation, such as the commas in the example above.  How
>> does
>> one deal with that in ldap?
>
> This is not a problem unless we start using those attributes within
> the
> DN of the entry which we should not.  Basically the syntax of the
> action
> attribute will determine the valid values for these attributes that we
> define.

I think that the permission name (which I am thinking will be more or
less as it is today modelled as grant=permissionName or
deny=permissionName) can also have bizarre punctuation and need to be
part of a dn.  Maybe you can find some other way.... I sure haven't
seen how to associate a set of values except using an objectclass.

>> Many thanks for any help, and I hope this isn't too much of a user
>> list
>> question :-)
>
> No problem at all.  Let's just step carefully on some of your changes
> until we all have a grasp of what they entail overall wrt schema
> changes
> and other things they will impact.

I think hammering this out in the sandbox will be a good idea.

many thanks
david jencks

Re: [TRIPLESEC]Re: Triplesec... storing permissions in ldap

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Dec 28, 2006, at 1:55 PM, David Jencks wrote:
<big snip>

> Not entirely.
>
> First of all, I don't think I explained one of my thoughts, which
> is that keeping a list of all permissions used in an application
> doesn't really have any value.  In general there's an infinite set
> of possible permissions for an application and there's no practical
> way to enumerate all of them.  To my eyes the only thing the
> permissions are currently used for is to construct the admin role,
> and this is not something that is generally useful: it certainly
> has no universal definition in jacc or j2ee.  I would prefer to
> have some button on a gui to collect all the permissions in defined
> roles and profiles and add them to a particular role (or profile)
>
> Assuming you agree with this, we will be storing permissions
> associated with role and profile.  To construct a permission
> instance we need:
>
> permission class
> permission name
> permission action
> grant/deny
>
> In relational terms, these are all part of the primary key.  IIUC
> to directly express this in ldap you get dns with something like
> a=foo+b=bar+c=baz,ou=groupId,....... which I have not yet seen in
> practice and looks confusing to me.  I thought it would be easier
> to deal with if instead we treated it as several levels:
>
> role or profile
>
> permission class
>
> [grant,deny]= permission name
> with actions as a multivalued attribute for the permission name.
>
> This results IIUC in the ldif to install a StringPermission with no
> actions looking something like:
>

> dn:
> roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc
> =example, dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: policyRole
> roleName: mockRole1
>
> dn: permClassName=org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission,
> roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc
> =example, dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: permClass
> permClassName: org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission
>
> dn: grant=mockPerm0,
> permClassName=org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission,
> roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc
> =example, dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: permGrant
> grant: mockPerm0
>
> It might be clearer to look at the schema and code to handle this
> in guardian-ldap and admin-api in sandbox/triplesec-jacc.  It's
> entirely possible I've missing something basic and there's a better
> way to handle this.... but (obviously :-) I haven't seen it yet.

so the schema for the above is

attributetype ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.3.208
         NAME 'permClassName'
         DESC 'java class for a set of permission'
         EQUALITY caseExactMatch
         SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

attributetype ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.3.209
         NAME 'grant'
         DESC 'name for a granted permission'
         EQUALITY caseExactMatch
         SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

attributetype ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.3.210
         NAME 'deny'
         DESC 'name for a denied permission'
         EQUALITY caseExactMatch
         SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

attributetype ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.3.211
         NAME 'action'
         DESC 'action for a permission'
         EQUALITY caseExactMatch
         SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.205 NAME 'permClass'
     SUP top
     AUXILIARY
     MUST ( permClassName )
     )

objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.206 NAME 'permGrant'
     SUP top
     AUXILIARY
     MUST ( grant )
     MAY  ( action )
     )

objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.207 NAME 'permDeny'
     SUP top
     AUXILIARY
     MUST ( deny )
     MAY  ( action )
     )

Note that there are two objectClasses that are the same structure,
permGrant and permDeny.  This doesn't thrill me.

I guess another way to handle this is with another component in the
dn, something like:

dn:
roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc=e
xample, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: policyRole
roleName: mockRole1

dn: permClassName=org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission,
roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc=e
xample, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: permClass
permClassName: org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission

dn: permName=mockPerm0, ou=grants,
permClassName=org.safehaus.triplesec.guardian.StringPermission,
roleName=mockRole1,ou=roles,appName=mockApplication,ou=applications,dc=e
xample, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: permName
grant: mockPerm0

with schema something like

attributetype ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.3.208
         NAME 'permClassName'
         DESC 'java class for a set of permission'
         EQUALITY caseExactMatch
         SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

attributetype ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.3.209
         NAME 'permName'
         DESC 'name of a permission'
         EQUALITY caseExactMatch
         SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

attributetype ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.3.211
         NAME 'action'
         DESC 'action for a permission'
         EQUALITY caseExactMatch
         SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
         SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.205 NAME 'permClass'
     SUP top
     AUXILIARY
     MUST ( permClassName )
     )

objectclass ( 1.2.6.1.4.1.22555.1.1.1.4.206 NAME 'permName'
     SUP top
     AUXILIARY
     MUST ( permName )
     MAY  ( action )
     )

Is this a better design?  I'm not convinced:

- it has the same number of object classes (we've replaced one of
permGrant and permDeny with the already existing ou)
- there's one more part in the dn
- there's nothing constraining ou to be grants or denials
- we're leaning on an object class we don't control (ou)

However since I'm a complete beginner here I'd certainly like to hear
more opinions.

many thanks
david jencks

<another big snip>