Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2010/06/21 06:24:12 UTC

Cocoon for Forrest (was Re: A Few Plans)

On 2010-06-20, David Crossley wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>  - ask the Forrest and Lenya communities which parts of Cocoon 2.x they
>>    need, remove the Cocoon reactor and only build the parts needed,
>>    finally start building Forrest and Lenya again.

> For Forrest, we use Cocoon-2.1 branch (i.e. the Ant-based build)
> and various blocks.

Is there still any development on the 2.1 branch at all (bug fixes,
whatever) or would it make sense to consider it stale and just package
up the jars Forrest needs?

If we want to keep building Cocoon, can we identify the blocks that are
needed and restrict the build to those?

Stefan

Re: Cocoon for Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> > Both the Forrest and Cocoon communities can use assistance.
>
> Just ask.

:-) I meant the way Gump works to assist projects to
help each other. Thanks too for the other assistance.

-David

Re: Cocoon for Forrest

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-06-24, David Crossley wrote:

> Of course, it would be better if cocoon21 was being built by Gump.

It would certainly be possible, I've just re-added the 2.2 build since
Lenya seems to be using that - I just don't believe we'll get that
working without assistance from the Cocoon community itself.

> Both the Forrest and Cocoon communities can use assistance.

Just ask.

> Would it cause too much work for Gump?

Gump is here for just that and if there is a community that really wants
to use the service, then I'm sure we'll be glad to help.

Stefan

Re: Cocoon for Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> >> Is there still any development on the 2.1 branch at all (bug fixes,
> >> whatever)
>
> > It is sporadic. There has been some desire expressed on the Cocoon dev
> > list to keep maintaining it. However only some commit activity has followed.
>
> >> or would it make sense to consider it stale and just package
> >> up the jars Forrest needs?
>
> > Perhaps we could do that until there is further activity
> > at Cocoon.
>
> > Would someone please refer me to a useful example of a
> > "packaged" gump project.
>
> > Where would the packaged jars be stored?
>
> One of the (many) pain points in Gump.  Currently they are stored inside
> svn in a PMC private area - so we don't distribute a few things.  I
> think I've added the blocks you need and a cocoon21 project that holds
> all necessary jars.

Thanks. For Forrest, i will specifically add the "depend" stuff
that we used to obtain via the old Cocoon-2.1 gump descriptor.

Gump for Cocoon3

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > and there is not yet any Gump run for the "cocoon3".
>
> And added one for cocoon3.

Thanks.

I showed the Cocoon project:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/80891

-David

Re: Cocoon for Forrest

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-07-09, David Crossley wrote:

> Hi Stefan, pleae add the following block jars to the
> the cocoon21 package ...

should be available with the next build.

Stefan

Re: Cocoon for Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> One of the (many) pain points in Gump.  Currently they are stored inside
> svn in a PMC private area - so we don't distribute a few things.  I
> think I've added the blocks you need and a cocoon21 project that holds
> all necessary jars.

Hi Stefan, pleae add the following block jars to the
the cocoon21 package ...

cocoon-auth-block.jar
cocoon-lucene-block.jar
cocoon-profiler-block.jar
cocoon-template-block.jar
cocoon-validation-block.jar
cocoon-xsp-block.jar

-David

Re: Cocoon for Forrest

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-06-22, David Crossley wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:

>>> For Forrest, we use Cocoon-2.1 branch (i.e. the Ant-based build)
>>> and various blocks.

>> Is there still any development on the 2.1 branch at all (bug fixes,
>> whatever)

> It is sporadic. There has been some desire expressed on the Cocoon dev
> list to keep maintaining it. However only some commit activity has followed.

>> or would it make sense to consider it stale and just package
>> up the jars Forrest needs?

> Perhaps we could do that until there is further activity
> at Cocoon.

> Would someone please refer me to a useful example of a
> "packaged" gump project.

> Where would the packaged jars be stored?

One of the (many) pain points in Gump.  Currently they are stored inside
svn in a PMC private area - so we don't distribute a few things.  I
think I've added the blocks you need and a cocoon21 project that holds
all necessary jars.

> By the way, so that people are clear. The current Gump run
> happening for "cocoon" is the Maven-based build of Cocoon trunk
> (i.e. Cocoon-2.2)

Which is even more stale than the 2.1.x branch, I've disabled the build
for now

Re: Cocoon for Forrest (was Re: A Few Plans)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> >>
> >>  - ask the Forrest and Lenya communities which parts of Cocoon 2.x they
> >>    need, remove the Cocoon reactor and only build the parts needed,
> >>    finally start building Forrest and Lenya again.
> >
> > For Forrest, we use Cocoon-2.1 branch (i.e. the Ant-based build)
> > and various blocks.
>
> Is there still any development on the 2.1 branch at all (bug fixes,
> whatever)

It is sporadic. There has been some desire expressed on the Cocoon dev
list to keep maintaining it. However only some commit activity has followed.

> or would it make sense to consider it stale and just package
> up the jars Forrest needs?

Perhaps we could do that until there is further activity
at Cocoon.

Would someone please refer me to a useful example of a
"packaged" gump project.

Where would the packaged jars be stored?

> If we want to keep building Cocoon, can we identify the blocks that are
> needed and restrict the build to those?

Yes. We would need the "core", and then Forrest has the "blocks"
listed in our existing gump descriptor (but commented out).

By the way, so that people are clear. The current Gump run
happening for "cocoon" is the Maven-based build of Cocoon trunk
(i.e. Cocoon-2.2) and there is not yet any Gump run for
the "cocoon3".

-David