Posted to user@roller.apache.org by kiwi2 <to...@tgds.net> on 2007/07/19 19:40:01 UTC

New installation problem

My new installation of 3.1 on Tomcat 6.0.10, jdk 6 and postgresql 8.xx is
starting then giving me a 404 when I try to register the admin user

 The requested URL /roller/roller-ui/user.do was not found on this server.

Shouldn't that URL read .../admin/user.do ?

tony

Re: New installation problem

Posted by kiwi2 <to...@tgds.net>.

Dave Johnson-8 wrote:

> As Leon suggested, information from your logs (catalina.out and
> roller.log) would be very helpful in debugging this problem. Stop
> Tomcat, delete those logs, restart Tomcat and then send those logs to
> us -- or at least the portions that indicate errors/warnings deploying
> the roller context.

no error in roller.log

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
> > The only Warn messages in the roller log are:
> > EhCacheProvider:buildCache - Could not find configuration... and using
> > defaults

> > WARN  2007-07-20 01:39:56,171 PingQueueProcessor:processQueue - WARNING:
> > Skipping current ping queue processing round because we cannot yet determine
> > the site's absolute context url.

Just wanted to mention that those are harmless warning messages and
are most likely NOT the cause or symptom of your installation problem.

As Leon suggested, information from your logs (catalina.out and
roller.log) would be very helpful in debugging this problem. Stop
Tomcat, delete those logs, restart Tomcat and then send those logs to
us -- or at least the portions that indicate errors/warnings deploying
the roller context.

- Dave

Re: New installation problem

Posted by kiwi2 <to...@tgds.net>.

Leon Messerschmidt-2 wrote:

> It seems as if you're app isn't even deploying properly.  Hence no
> context URL.  Do you see anything in catalina.out (or on the console if
> you're on windows)?

Linux. Webapps deployed in the webapps directory /opt/tomcat/webapps
Other roller directories in /home/tomcat with owner/group tomcat:apache
There are two or three other webapps running on the machine (since 1999 -
different server/sw version of course)

In catalina.out java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080
Is Roller trying to have exclusive use of 8080?

localhost log (this one slipped me)
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ResultSet not positioned properly,
perhaps you need to call next.

???

Posted by Leon Messerschmidt <le...@lonelyplanet.com.au>.
Tony,

It seems as if you're app isn't even deploying properly.  Hence no
context URL.  Do you see anything in catalina.out (or on the console if
you're on windows)?

~ Leon

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 23:45 -0700, kiwi2 wrote:

> Leon Messerschmidt-2 wrote:
> >
> > It could be a number of things.  Anything in the log files that could
> > help?
> >

> Leon,
>
> The only Warn messages in the roller log are:
> EhCacheProvider:buildCache - Could not find configuration... and using
> defaults
>
> NEW:
>
> WARN  2007-07-20 01:39:56,171 PingQueueProcessor:processQueue - WARNING:
> Skipping current ping queue processing round because we cannot yet determine
> the site's absolute context url.
>
> This is the key - where did I go wrong setting the context URL?
>
> Tony

This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright.  If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
it.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
use, copy or disclose its content to anyone.  You must not copy or
communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.

Re: New installation problem

Posted by Stuart Murry <st...@hotmail.com>.
I had a problem like that when first installed Roller.  I changed this
element in the roller.properties file.

# The directory in which Roller will upload files
uploads.dir=${user.home}/appservers/roller_data/uploads

using the default ${user.home}/roller_data/uploads Roller was trying to
write to an area that was write protected. I was sitting behind an Apache
Http Server and my root context was the Apache Http Server.

It turned out the directory was write protected.  I was getting a wierd
errors like can't log-in because I didn't have the correct user permissions.
So I added an additional appservers directory to the roller.properties
files.  directory where my Tomcat installation was.  That seem to solve the
problem.

http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07

Re: New installation problem

Posted by kiwi2 <to...@tgds.net>.

Leon Messerschmidt-2 wrote:

> It could be a number of things.  Anything in the log files that could
> help?

Leon,

The only Warn messages in the roller log are:
EhCacheProvider:buildCache - Could not find configuration and using defaults

catalina and localhost logs have nothing strange in them
apache is just logging the 404

Posted by kiwi2 <to...@tgds.net>.

Leon Messerschmidt-2 wrote:

> It could be a number of things.  Anything in the log files that could
> help?

Leon,

Posted by kiwi2 <to...@tgds.net>.

Leon Messerschmidt-2 wrote:

> It could be a number of things.  Anything in the log files that could
> help?

Leon,

Posted by Leon Messerschmidt <le...@lonelyplanet.com.au>.
Hi Tony,

Posted by kiwi2 <to...@tgds.net>.
OK I have fixed the context path.

added <Context path="/" docBase="/opt/tomcat/webapps/roller"... to my
context.xml (was previously /roller and no docBase

I can get in via http://my.domain.com:8080/roller

I would like a pretty URL but it is no big issue for the moment as the blog
will be private and password protected.

Thanks for the pointers.

Tony