Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Chris Hillery <ch...@hillery.land> on 2015/10/29 23:56:17 UTC

Maven 3.1.1 required now

Quick note: as of the current AsterixDB tip 6059af3, Maven 3.1.1 is a
requirement to build.

Unfortunately the newest version of Maven in the current Ubuntu Long-Term
Support  release (Trusty Tahir, 14.04) is 3.0.5. Linux Mint 17 is derived
from Ubuntu LTS so it also only has 3.0.5.

You can install Maven manually, of course, but if you want it handled by
your package manager, it's a little tricky. Here's what I did that worked:

1. Purge the old version of Maven.

   sudo apt-get purge maven\*

2. (optional) Remove packages that are possibly now not necessary.

   sudo apt-get --purge autoremove

3. Add the following PPA:

   sudo add-apt-repository ppa:natecarlson/maven3

4. The PPA only has packages up through Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin),
but Java packages don't care much. So:

   sudo vi /etc/apt/sources/list.d/natecarlson-maven3-trusty.list

and change "trusty" to "precise" on line 1 and 2.

5. Install Maven 3:

   sudo apt-get update
   sudo apt-get install maven3

6. (optional) The binary in this package named "mvn3", so alias "mvn" to
that or create a symlink on your PATH or whatever.

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Re: Maven 3.1.1 required now

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
Whoops! Sorry about that. I always used 3.1.1 manually installed, the
version in Debian is carbon dated.The build server uses 3.1.1 as well.

Re: Maven 3.1.1 required now

Posted by Chris Hillery <ce...@lambda.nu>.
Part of the implementation of the fix Ian did used a Maven library that
depends on at least Maven 3.1.1.

Ceej

Re: Maven 3.1.1 required now

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.